Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to switch residency to another province?

Hey 007,

Thanks for the reply. Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) policies nationwide are clear on the procedure for internal and intraprovincial transfers. They pretty much all mention that the process can begin after completing at least 6 months of PGY-1 and initiated by contacting the PGME office along with the target program director to see if a transfer can be arranged. However, there is no mention on the policy for interprovincial transfers. As you posted, funding is provided provincially, so I'm sure it will be much more difficult to arrange a transfer of this nature. Just wondering if anyone has done it and what was involved. I guess it's worth a try when the time comes, even though it's unlikely. Guess I'll just stick it out for five years if it doesn't work. I'm also afraid if I give it a shot and my Program Director or colleagues find out, they'll hate me for the next four years.

Cheers,

Sorry, I probably should have put this thread under general residency topics. I saw primary care specialties first (i'm in one) and posted the topic. Maybe if one of the moderators moves it to another location it will get more replies.

• 2 months later...

Yes - interprovincial transfers possible. Also, because all the Canadian residency programs are governed by the same Royal College guidelines, your rotations are accepted at-par (ie. no extra time needed to complete the residency).

Talk to both program directors. Usually you need a good reason (ie. your spouse is from there and got a job there).

Previous switches:

ER - UA to UBC

Derm - McGill to UBC

I would talk to your PGME dean first. They will surely have dealt with this in the past and would know the steps of going about, your chances etc. I know of people who have done this in IM/OBS/Gen surg. I think it will depend mostly on the receiving program, they may be desperate for more residents and more than willing to help find the money to fund you. I would talk to PGME dean and then go on to contact the PD of the place you want to go. The people that I know of apparently had no problems with people from their program having resentment etc. People should understand.

• 3 weeks later...

You absolutely need to talk to your PD first. You can't switch programs without your PD's permission. Although you sign a contract from year to year, as far as the ACGME sees it you have a 3 year commitment to the program, and you cannot go to another program without the written approval of your current PD. It is likely that they will want you to at least finish the year because of scheduling constraints, and it will behoove you to do that since it may make it more likely for your PD to approve your transfer. Besides, the majority of positions to transfer into will likely be PL-2 positions to start in July, rather than trasnferring in mid-year, but it won't hurt to inquire. Hopefully your PD will understand (you're in pediatrics, so if your PD doesnt understand the improtance of social support and a mother's bond to her child, then the person isn't someone I would want to work for), and if he/she does, they can often help you find a position elsewhere. If your PD does not grant you approval, there may be an appeal process through the ACGME...hopefully it won't come down to that.

I cannot give you advice on the process.

I just wanted to comment that you do not talk to your PD first. You probably already know this and hopefully people read the guidelines in their handbooks before initiating a transfer. But didn`t want people reading this thread and thinking they go to their PD to set up a transfer. Your PD is pretty much the last person to know.

yes, definitely DO NOT go to the program director of YOUR program first. That would be suicide if the new program decides to not take you.

With that said, definitely try to chat with a transfer chair person and even the program director of the NEW program to see if it is even possible for them to absorb a new resident.

All of these actions would and should be highly confidential and the program director of your current program would not know of any of these occurrences until the PGME of your school approves of your transfer (so that your current program can release you). I doubt your old program will not let you go... who'd want a resident that does not want to be there?

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

Archived