Premed 101 Forums

interview cut offs/ essay

Guest MAR

Hi

I am thinking of applying to U of T for 2003 if I don't get off the Queen's wait list. I was just wondering what sort of cut offs U of T has and how important the essay is in getting an interview?

Does the essay have to be a unified essay with an introduction, body, and conclusion? There seem to be a lot of questions to build into one short essay.

I think U of T has a 9/9/9/N MCAT cut-off, and I believe fairly high GPA standards (my guess, and it is a guess, it about 3.75 or higher).

The essay is marked by a panel and given a score.

I believe it goes something like this....

PRE-INTERVIEW STAGE

60% marks

40% essay, sketch, reference forms

POST-INTEVIEW

60% marks

20% essay, sketch, reference forms

20% interview

U of T med guys and gals wanna add/comment on this?

Thanks V

Can anyone confirm the GPA cut offs. My GPA is only 3.70 and I would like to know if it is high enough to get an interview.

Guest JSS02

MAR,

U of T has a weighting formula if you're a fourth year or higher student and have a full course load each year. For 4th year applicants it's 20% worst year, 40% second worst year, and 40% best year. For 5th year applicants they drop the worst year, and weigh the other 3 years as above. Your marks in the year that you apply are not considered for giving interviews. So using the formula your GPA could be higher than 3.7. A 3.7 will make it pretty tough to get an interview at U of T, though of course it's still possible. In a couple of past years, 3.7 was the minimum GPA required for them to even read your essay, despite the fact that the booklet and website says 3.6. Most people agree that an upper 3.7 (i.e. near 3.8 ) is needed to have a more reasonable chance.

If you're applying as a grad student, then they look at you differently. You would only need a 3.0 in undergrad to be considered.

Guest cheese

i have a question about the essay as well. i've noticed that you have to answer like 7 questions or so in your essay. how is the essay supposed to be structured? is it acceptable to use a paragraph-per-question format?

thanks

cheese

Guest cheech10

I used a paragraph per question and was accepted, so I'm sure it's ok. Just make sure you tie the paragraphs together. I think flow is an important part of the essay (at least, the way I wrote it). I also think the questions are worded and organised so they lend themselves nicely to a paragraph per question style of essay.

Archived