Premed 101 Forums

I graduated high school, but I need to go back for two credits. Can I apply for Feb?

euro

Wait a sec... what? You have a uni degree with a competitive GPA, but a med school is requiring you to complete your High School? I've never heard of any Canadian Med School having any interest in high school... some of them even neglect ECs done at this age.

Wait a sec... what? You have a uni degree with a competitive GPA, but a med school is requiring you to complete your High School? I've never heard of any Canadian Med School having any interest in high school... some of them even neglect ECs done at this age.

My mistake for not clarifying... I'm applying for undergrad.

My mistake for not clarifying... I'm applying for undergrad.

Generally, schools allow admission into undergrad during the winter semester, however, if you do so, you will also be a semester late in graduating undergrad. Which means you will have to wait an extra year before applying to med. So either way, you miss a year.

You could of course get around this by taking summer courses. Unfortunately however, that takes up valuable time in the summer for MCAT studying and extracurriculars. Furthermore, it means that you graduated in 3.5 years, and not the 4 that many med schools require (since summer courses dont count towards your med school application). You might want to contact med schools you're interested in to see if 3.5 years is ok.

What's the holdup anyways? Is it your high school or MacMaster that's giving you a hard time? If it's your high school, see if they'll accept university level credits, since you'll likely have to take these for credit for your program (assuming you're doing a typical pre-med degree). This kills 2 birds with one stone, and might save you a year. If it's the uni... well, I dunno then. Just register and see what happens. Not a lot of background gets checked sometimes.

What's the holdup anyways? Is it your high school or MacMaster that's giving you a hard time? If it's your high school, see if they'll accept university level credits, since you'll likely have to take these for credit for your program (assuming you're doing a typical pre-med degree). This kills 2 birds with one stone, and might save you a year. If it's the uni... well, I dunno then, lol.

Sounds like Mac giving trouble, as high school calculus is a requirement (at least when I applied it was).

Sounds like Mac giving trouble, as high school calculus is a requirement (at least when I applied it was).

Hmm, right on. Something you might consider is registering in a program that doesn't require HS physics and calculus (like, maybe an arts program), but then not take any of the classes required for the arts degree, and register in the ones that a typical first year science kid would take. This way, you get your name in the system and you're able to take regular classes for first year sci, but you don't run into the prereq problem. Once you have the problematic classes behind you, just switch majors, and it's no worries.

I considered doing something similar for eng this past year so I didn't have to pay the differential fee.

Archived