Premed 101 Forums

need some advice

sciencegirl

Hello,

I'm interested in applying to Canadian med schools but I'm having trouble doing well on the MCAT. I've written it twice already and on my last try (this past June) I got 9s in both the science sections but a 6 in VR. I know I am capable in doing better in VR as I did at least 7 full length practice exams (AAMC and TPR) before the actual test and consistently scored 10s with the occasional 9 or 11. I was planning on waiting until next summer to re-write but I decided to give the MCAT another go this Sept. since I'm going into my 4th year and would really like to apply this year. Basically I need advice on how to prepare. I've taken the TPR course last summer (I scored 8-9 on all the sections when I wrote then) and I self-studied this time around. I know I'm extremely short on time (ideally I'd like to write on Sept 10th) so what would be the most effective way to prepare, keeping in mind I studied for 1.5 months when I wrote this June. I'm frustrated with the MCAT and disheartened as I don't know how I can possiblly improve my score so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

Hello,

I'm interested in applying to Canadian med schools but I'm having trouble doing well on the MCAT. I've written it twice already and on my last try (this past June) I got 9s in both the science sections but a 6 in VR. I know I am capable in doing better in VR as I did at least 7 full length practice exams (AAMC and TPR) before the actual test and consistently scored 10s with the occasional 9 or 11. I was planning on waiting until next summer to re-write but I decided to give the MCAT another go this Sept. since I'm going into my 4th year and would really like to apply this year. Basically I need advice on how to prepare. I've taken the TPR course last summer (I scored 8-9 on all the sections when I wrote then) and I self-studied this time around. I know I'm extremely short on time (ideally I'd like to write on Sept 10th) so what would be the most effective way to prepare, keeping in mind I studied for 1.5 months when I wrote this June. I'm frustrated with the MCAT and disheartened as I don't know how I can possiblly improve my score so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

Just apply. You never know...they may look at all your other good scores.

In order to "prep" for another run, trying timing yourself in exams...speed reading, etc. There are some good websites.

Hello,

If you are able to get above 10s consistently on the practice tests there shouldn't be such a huge discrepancy in your score in verbal unless there was a freakout. It's weird. perhaps try to find out why your score dropped so much. was it your reading speed? concentration? the answer choices were too confusing? and maybe that will make help you get ready for the next one. In the meantime, read lots on all topics, even the ones you are less interested in. and time yourself!

Good luck!

Archived