Premed 101 Forums

Muslim/Jewish Room-mates

Guest Boss

Guest Boss

Hello OT6,

I've been looking for a place to live for the upcoming year, and have found that prices for bachelor apartments/single bedrooms are out of my price range. Consequently, I am looking for a room-mate. Since I'm Muslim, it would probably be better if my room-mate was Muslim or Jewish. This is only due to food issues: ie. Muslims and Jews do not eat pork, etc. I think it would be too difficult for me to prevent contamination of my food with pork products if I were to live with someone who eats pork. If there are any Jewish/Muslim people who are looking for a room-mate for this upcoming year, please post a message here. Thanks a lot, and congratulations to all OT6ers.

Boss

Guest Boss

Yeah, that would be cool too! Thanks! I completely forgot about vegetarians. Perhaps the fact that I eat meat, however, would be a problem for them. ???

Guest BennyG

Dear Boss,

a friend of my cousin will be 0T6 and I suspect that he may be observantly Jewish and therefore follow the laws of kashruth. This will make your meat purchases easier overall, since the same ritualistic methods are used in the preparation of both halal and kosher meat. As you probably are aware, observant Jews do not eat shellfish either, or meat and daily together, so you may not be able to make halal cheeseburgers with shimp appetizers when it is your night to cook! 8) A less observant but still practicing Jew may be O.K. with occasionally eating non-kosher/non-halah meat (with a friend or at a social gathering) but will still stay clear of piggie, or will simply choose to be a vegetarian to avoid the whole complication. That's what I do.

On the matter of apartments, unless you have done so already, I would suggest targeting your search away from the downtown core near campus, rents are very expensive there. Sure, you will need to commute and pay transit fees, but I think that you can probably save a lot more in rent. I live in the Eglington-Bathurst area and pay about $850 in rent for a 2-bedroom (I live with a wife and son). This does not include hydro utilities, however. Toronto is a very expensive place to live!

I'll talk to this guy and find out. E-mail me off-board in a little while; I still need to get his e-mail address from my cousin.

Regards,

BennyG

When I was a med student there were rooms for rent at "The Residence" at 90 Gerrard Street West (opposite the Hospital of Sick Kids). A room, although miniature in size, cost $550 at the time, at is is literally 8 minutes walking from the med school.

This is one option some students may want to consider.

Archived