Premed 101 Forums

Advice - 27 years, Comp Engg graduate, been working for 4 years

Hello

Not to digress a bit from the topic, but i'm finding myself in a similar situation. I also completed an undergraduate engineering degree and close to finishing my master's degree in the same discipline. I've been trying to apply for med, but this year only managed to get mediochre mcat scores. My overall avg is 3.6 and my last 2 years are around 3.8. I have 1 journal publication, 2 submitted, and about 6 published abstracts. Regarding the mcat, I just wrote this year in May and met the cutoff in all sections except VR in which i got a 6! I wrote back in 2006 and managed to get a 10 in VR, but less satisfactory marks in the other sections. Do I have a shot at any schools, or should I take a chance to rewrite next week although there's a high probability that i may do worse?

Is it also true that the number of times the mcat is written doesn't matter for Canadian schools? I know before there was a '3 time limit'. It's just that i already wrote 3 times in the last 3 years...

I included the quote below because cary_fan said that s/he had decent mcat marks to get in...if you don't mind me asking, i'm assuming that was a 10 in each section?

Thanks.

For schools that have minimum MCAT scores, a 10/10/10/Q is usually enough to squeak by and not have to worry about it. Each school will vary (eg. UofT only needs 9's) and they can change from year to year.

Archived