Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

I was hoping some current students could help me (and my fellow 2013s) out :) We got a list of 'required texts' today, and I was just wondering if it was a good idea to purchase all 11 books prior to the start of school (or if it is even worth to purchase them all)? Also, we have been given choices for some topics - which ones would you recommend?

Thank you :)

Here's the list:

REQUIRED TEXTBOOKS FOR MD Program Year 1

1.ROBBINS*BASIC*PATHOLOGY*by*Kumar*V,*Abbas*AK,*Fausto*N,*Mitchell,*R.*8th*Edn,*2007,*Elsevier,**ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐2973‐1**

2.Lippincott’s*Illustrated*Reviews*BIOCHEMISTRY*by*Champe*PC,*Harvey*RA,*Ferrier*DR.*4th*Edn,*2007,*Lippincott* Williams*&*Wilkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐6960‐0***

3.Lippincott’s*Illustrated*Reviews*MICROBIOLOGY*by*Harvey*RA,*Champe*PC,Fisher*BD.*2nd*Edn,*2006,*Lippincott*Williams*&*Wilkins, ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐8215‐9***

4.BASIC*IMMUNOLOGY*(Functions*and*Disorders*of*the*Immune*System)*by*Abbas*AK,*Lichtman*AH.*3rd*Edn,*2008, Elsevier,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐4688‐2**

5.PRINCIPLES*OF*MEDICAL*PHARMACOLOGY*by*Kalant*H,*Grant*D,*Mitchell*J.*7th*Edn,*2007,*Elsevier*–*Saunders,*ISBN:*978‐0‐7796‐9945‐2***

6.GRANT’S*ATLAS*OF*ANATOMY*by*Agur*AM,*Dalley*AF.*12th*Edn,*2008,*

Lippincott*Williams*&*Wilkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐9612‐5*

or*

COLOR*ATLAS*OF*ANATOMY*by*Rohen*JW,*Yokochi*C,*Lütjen-Drecoll*E.*6th*Edn,*2006,*Lippincott*Williams*&*Wilkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐9013‐0***

or*

ATLAS*OF*HUMAN*ANATOMY*by*Netter*FH.*4th*Edn,*2006,*Elsevier‐Saunders,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐3385‐1***

or*

ATLAS*OF*CLINICAL*GROSS*ANATOMY*by*Moses*K,*Banks*JC,*Nava*PB,*

Petersen*D.*2005,*Elsevier‐Mosby,*ISBN‐13:978‐0‐323‐03744‐0***

or*

GRAY’S*ANATOMY*FOR*STUDENTS*by*Drake*R,*Vogl*AW,*Mitchell*AWM.*

2nd*Edn,*2009,*Elsevier*‐*Churchill*Livingstone,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐443‐06952‐9*

7.NETTER’S*ESSENTIAL*HISTOLOGY*by*Ovalle*WK,*Nahirney*PC.*2008,*

Elsevier‐Saunders,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐929007‐86‐8***

or*

WHEATER’S*FUNCTIONAL*HISTOLOGY*by*Young*B,*Lowe*JS,*Stevens*A,*HeathJW.*5th*Edn,*2006,*Elsevier*‐*Churchill*Livingstone,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐443‐06850‐8***

8.ESSENTIAL*HAEMATOLOGY*by*Hoffbrand*V,*Moss*P,*Pettit*J.*5th*Edn,*2006,*Blackwell,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4051‐3649‐5** *

9.NELSON*ESSENTIALS*OF*PEDIATRICS*by*Kliegman*R,*Marcdante*K,*Jenson*H,*Behrman*R.*5th*Edn,*2005,*Elsevier,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐0159‐1***

10.RAPID*INTERPRETATION*OF*EKG’s*by*Dubin*D,*6th*Edn,*2006,*Cover*

Publishing,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐9129‐1206‐6**

11.Bates’*GUIDE*TO*PHYSICAL*EXAMINATION*AND*HISTORY*TAKING*by*

Bickley*LS,*10th*Edn,*2008,*Lippincott*Williams*&*Wilkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐8058‐2*

There was a letter in the package from the Dean in which she said,

"During Intro to Medicine and the first week of classes, you will be given advice and instruction from both students and members of faculty regarding books, instruments, etc. I strongly suggest that you wait and speak to these individuals before making your purchases"

So i think we should wait until after the first week to buy any of the textbooks? :)

Yes, speaking to 1st and 2nd year med students, they said to definitely wait until O-week and they will tell you which books to get and which are optional. For example, apparantly the immunology book is a must because that prof teaches directly off the book and his lectures were useless.

So let's just relax and wait till O-week to figure out textbooks, and equipment. Reading all this application stuff is so exciting!!

Does anyone know if its ok to use older edition textbooks?

That should be fine for the texts - just recognise that you may need to double check with the most recent edition to make sure you're not missing anything, and that when readings are assigned, you'll need to figure out pages yourself. Not really a huge deal. If you have another text from your undergrad, that may work as well. The chosen books are meant to provide you with a general background before clerkship.

Last year was the first year for required books. This year the course coordinators will be working to incorporate the books into the curriculum systematically.

The books were chosen based on student, teacher and clinician input.

That should be fine for the texts - just recognise that you may need to double check with the most recent edition to make sure you're not missing anything, and that when readings are assigned, you'll need to figure out pages yourself. Not really a huge deal. If you have another text from your undergrad, that may work as well. The chosen books are meant to provide you with a general background before clerkship.

Last year was the first year for required books. This year the course coordinators will be working to incorporate the books into the curriculum systematically.

The books were chosen based on student, teacher and clinician input.

Thanks for the input, Darla!

I'll try to give you the general consensus on these books, rather than just my own opinion since I'm personally not a big textbook user.

1.ROBBINS*BASIC*PATHOLOGY*by*Kumar*V,*Abbas*AK,*Fausto*N,*Mitchell,*R.*8th* Edn,*2007,*Elsevier,**ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐2973‐1**

-Not necessary- the pathology lectures and notes are very, very thorough and detailed. You won't be tested on anything outside of them. Good book if you love path and want extra info though

2.Lippincott’s*Illustrated*Reviews*BIOCHEMISTRY*by*Champe*PC,*Harvey*RA,*Ferrier*DR.*4th*Edn,*200 7,*Lippincott* Williams*&*Wilkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐6960‐0***

Definitely not necessary if you have ANY biochem background. And even if not, still not necessary. Don't know anyone that bought it.

3.Lippincott’s*Illustrated*Reviews*MICROBIOLOGY*by*Harvey*RA,*Champe*PC,Fisher*BD.*2nd*Edn,*2006, *Lippincott*Williams*&*Wilkins, ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐8215‐9***

Never even heard of this one!

4.BASIC*IMMUNOLOGY*(Functions*and*Disorders*of*the*Immune*System)*by *Abbas*AK,*Lichtman*AH.*3rd*Edn,*2008, Elsevier,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐4688‐2**

Now, the prof actually does expect you to read this thing. Everyone buys it. However, if you've taken a basic immuno course in undergrad, you'll know everything you need to for the exam already. So I'd say yes, unless you've got an immuno background, buy it.

5.PRINCIPLES*OF*MEDICAL*PHARMACOLOGY*by*Kalant*H,*Grant*D,*Mitchell*J.*7th*Edn,*2007,* Elsevier*–*Saunders,*ISBN:*978‐0‐7796‐9945‐2***

Nope, no one I know bought it. The lecture notes are sufficient. Buy if you want a reference in general for yourself, but not to do well on exams.

Now in terms of anatomy atlases... YES, buy one!! Definitely a very essential textbook. However, you only need ONE, not all of these. The vast majority use Netter.

6.GRANT’S*ATLAS*OF*ANATOMY*by*Agur*AM,*Dalley*AF.*12th*Edn,*2008,*

Lippincott*Williams*&*Wilkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817 ‐9612‐5*

or*

COLOR*ATLAS*OF*ANATOMY*by*Rohen*JW,*Yokochi*C,*Lütjen-Drecoll*E.*6th*Edn,*2006,*Lippincott*Williams*&*Wi lkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐9013‐0***

or*

ATLAS*OF*HUMAN*ANATOMY*by*Netter*FH.*4th*Edn,*2006,*Elsevier‐Saunders,*I SBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐3385‐1***

or*

ATLAS*OF*CLINICAL*GROSS*ANATOMY*by*Moses*K,*Banks*JC,*Nava*PB,*

Petersen*D.*2005,*Elsevier‐Mosby,*ISBN‐13:978‐0‐32 3‐03744‐0***

or*

GRAY’S*ANATOMY*FOR*STUDENTS*by*Drake*R,*Vogl*AW,*Mitchell*AWM.*

2nd*Edn,*2009,*Elsevier*‐*Churchill*Livingstone,*I SBN‐13:*978‐0‐443‐06952‐9*

7.NETTER’S*ESSENTIAL*HISTOLOGY*by*Ovalle*WK,*Nahirney*PC.*2008,*

Elsevier‐Saunders,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐929007‐86‐8***

Not a lot of people bought whatever last year's histology book was.. and we get very little lecturing/ testing on histology at all. Since we have little lecturing on it, the main reason to buy the book would be to learn it for yourself.

or*

WHEATER’S*FUNCTIONAL*HISTOLOGY*by*Young*B,*Lowe*JS,*Stevens*A,*HeathJW.*5th*Edn, *2006,*Elsevier*‐*Churchill*Livingstone,*ISBN‐13:* 978‐0‐443‐06850‐8***

8.ESSENTIAL*HAEMATOLOGY*by*Hoffbrand*V,*Moss*P,*Pettit*J.*5th*Edn,*2006,* Blackwell,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4051‐3649‐5** *

Nope, really not necessary. The lecture materials were definitely enough, and we weren't tested on anything outside of them. Use for your own supplementary learning only.

9.NELSON*ESSENTIALS*OF*PEDIATRICS*by*Kliegman*R,*Marcdante*K,*Jenson*H,*Behrman*R.*5 th*Edn,*2005,*Elsevier,*ISBN‐13:*978‐1‐4160‐0159‐1 ***

You'll be absolutely fine without buying it. Almost all peds stuff is learned in small groups, and before each one they posted the 'required reading pages' to webct as a pdf anyway! Also, just pay attention in the peds small groups, that's what they test on and its what's important clinically as well I think.

10.RAPID*INTERPRETATION*OF*EKG’s*by*Dubin*D,*6th*Edn,*2006,*Cover*

Publishing,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐9129‐1206‐6**

Yeah buy this one. We don't get enough lecturing on EKG's, and they expect you do learn a lot of it on your own via this book. Everyone buys it.

11.Bates’*GUIDE*TO*PHYSICAL*EXAMINATION*AND*HISTORY*T AKING*by*

Bickley*LS,*10th*Edn,*2008,*Lippincott*Williams*&* Wilkins,*ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐8058‐2*

I think a lot bought this... I personally didn't... you'll learn patient interviewing and exam skills by actually DOING them, and they post summary notes for us before sessions anyway. But if you want it, not a bad idea.

1. ROBBINS BASIC PATHOLOGY

2. Lippincott’s BIOCHEMISTRY

3. Lippincott’s MICROBIOLOGY

4. BASIC IMMUNOLOGY

5. PRINCIPLES OF MEDICAL PHARMACOLOGY

6. Anatomy

7. Histology

8. Hematology

9. NELSON ESSENTIALS OF PEDIATRICS

10. RAPID INTERPRETATION OF EKG’s

11. Bates’ GUIDE TO PHYSICAL EXAMINATION AND HISTORY TAKING

Hey,

Random thoughts re: textbooks

I rely a *lot* on online textbooks and resources. Before you buy anything, look at the UWO library (http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/clinicaloutreach/) or the CMA website (click on "Clinical Resources" on the CMA website). NEJM also has a good series of procedural videos, although you're unlikely to be doing an emergency cric in first year ;)

As mentioned above, pathology at UWO is very well-taught with excellent and well-organized notes. Unless you know that you want to be a pathologist, just read the course notes.

For microbiology, I'd recommend "Antibiotic Basics for Clinicians". Check it out at the bookstore before buying.

Dr. Madrena does teach immyo pretty much from Abbas, so it's a good idea to get that book and read it so you don't look dumb when he "passes the ball" to you.

Get an anatomy book or two. I bought both Netter and Rohan and used both. Don't take them to the anatomy lab though, they'll get gross. I think the bookstore has little laminated cards if you really want to have something to take into the lab with you (or photocopy the relevant plates from your text). Look at the books before you commit to one or both of those (or a different one), either in the bookstore or in the VERC. Our anatomy assignments seemed to be drawn heavily from Gray's, for what it's worth.

I *think* the pharm book is available online via UWO, but not 100% sure of that.

Histo and heme were very poorly taught when I was attending Western. I dunno if I'd run out and buy a textbook for them, maybe look around at reputable online resources first. That said, Dr. Hsia just joined the department as a newly-minted heme fellow, and he gave the 4th years an *excellent* heme lecture + notes this spring. So maybe there's hope.

Everybody buys Dubin. It's a good, basic introduction to EKGs although it can be slightly annoying to read at times.

Nelson's is available online (or maybe I'm thinking of Rudolph's). I just discovered the Sick Kids Manual, which is a very good and concise review of pediatric management from the clinical end of things. It's good to have when you're on the wards, but hold off buying it until clerkship ($80, U of T bookstore, likely available elsewhere).

Bates is crap. Don't waste your money.

Not on your list, but useful and available for free via UWO or CMA is Harrison's (Internal Medicine). Get really familiar with that book, it's your friend.

There's always debate about whether it's useful to buy The Toronto Notes in the preclinical years. They're good for review, but very dense and not good for learning the material for the first time. If you like lists, you'll *love* The Toronto Notes. I bought my copy in second year, and used it to review. My copy is sitting in front of me as I type this, actually. Others waited until 4th year when the MCCQE was looming. There's no right or wrong, it's whatever you think.

Hope that helps.

3.Lippincott’s*Illustrated*Reviews*MICROBIOLOGY*by*Harvey*RA,*Champe*PC,Fisher*BD.*2nd*Edn,*2006, *Lippincott*Williams*&*Wilkins, ISBN‐13:*978‐0‐7817‐8215‐9***

Never even heard of this one!

That's because it's new this year.

re. Ploughboy's online suggestions - free books rock. There's an online obstetric books too.

Harrison's that he mentioned will be used this year - at least I think that's what cardio decided on for you guys.

Hey guys and gals, congrats on almost starting med school. It will be fun for sure.

if any one is interested in used books please let me know. Here is the link clasified post.

They are not the newest edition ie 2009, but you will soon realize that it doesn't matter.. medicine has not changed much in the past couple of years.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35732

PS. I would check with upper classmates if you need all the suggested text book list by your school. I only got first year stuff.. and then gave up and only used BRS and high yield books.

I just ordered a couple textbooks really cheap from http://www.abebooks.com/Canada which is affiliated with Amazon but sometimes much cheaper. I bought Netter's atlas of anatomy and the Basic Immunology text for $66 US including shipping. I searched by the ISBN numbers and I found a bookseller called ABCbooks that sells international versions of the textbooks for very low prices and gaurantees that the texts are the same but with different covers and ISBN numbers. Abebooks notes the selling of such international versions may be against copyright law but hell, I'll take my super-cheap texts any day.

Hey,

I rely a *lot* on online textbooks and resources. Before you buy anything, look at the UWO library (http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/clinicaloutreach/'>http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/clinicaloutreach/) or the CMA website (click on "Clinical Resources" on the CMA website). NEJM also has a good series of procedural videos, although you're unlikely to be doing an emergency cric in first year ;)

I agree with "ploughboy" the UWO site has a ton of free texts that are more than enough for your undergrad. The only book you need to buy is Toronto Notes (but mostly for clerkship and LMCC's, not so much for 1st and 2nd year). Most if not all of the other texts I bought are collecting dust on the shelf.

The western site (http://www.lib.uwo.ca) had a login for students, and you go through the clinical outreach section ( http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/clinicaloutreach/'>http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/clinicaloutreach/ ). Both "StatRef" and OVID have a ton of books which are good.

Website has most of the "Current Diagnosis & Treatment" Series by Lange (Cardiology, Critical Care, GI, Ortho, Peds, Obs/Gyn, Medicine, Surgery) Has the Lange Clinical Pharmacology Book, The DSM (the bible for psychiatry), and the Merck Manual (a very good reference book).

There are also many text books available online through searching the library catalog.

Personally, I would buy an Anatomy Book. Netters is fine, Gray's Anatomy is also good.

Harrison's that he mentioned will be used this year - at least I think that's what cardio decided on for you guys.

Please don't rush out to buy Harrison's just yet! It's certainly a great book and a must-have for clerkship (possibly) and beyond, but it won't be used for cardio this year because it's way too dense for teaching purposes. There is another book that cardio is going to use, and definitely before cardio starts in February, you'll be informed of what to buy or how to access it online.

Yes, it is REQUIRED. No, it was not put on the required textbook list, and we're quite sad about that indeed :(

Please don't rush out to buy Harrison's just yet! It's certainly a great book and a must-have for clerkship (possibly) and beyond, but it won't be used for cardio this year because it's way too dense for teaching purposes. There is another book that cardio is going to use, and definitely before cardio starts in February, you'll be informed of what to buy or how to access it online.

Yes, it is REQUIRED. No, it was not put on the required textbook list, and we're quite sad about that indeed :(

Thanks for clearing that up Jerf! I haven't spoken to the cardio folks since the beginning of the summer - I'm glad they've chosen something for sure now.

• 2 weeks later...

random question....

the budget sheet included in our orientation package showed that we should expect to spend ~$2200 on books in first year...but when I checked the prices for all our mandatory textbooks, it looks like buying them ALL new would only cost ~$800..........

am I missing something?

random question....

the budget sheet included in our orientation package showed that we should expect to spend ~$2200 on books in first year...but when I checked the prices for all our mandatory textbooks, it looks like buying them ALL new would only cost ~$800..........

am I missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything. That may be including office software, computers, printing costs, binders etc. Or buying them at the most expensive price possible.

random question....

am I missing something?

The remaining $1400 is your budget for Binders, Erasers, Envelopes and Rulers.

Archived