Premed 101 Forums

How to Study for the MCAT

iraqattaq

I was curious, how people break up the sections and study for the MCAT? Is it best to tackle one book at a time and when all of them are done review each one? Is it best to do chapter one from each book, then do chapter two from each?

I am really just getting into my MCAT studying I plan on taking it in one year. This means I will be studying while I am in school so how many hours a week should I devote to MCAT studying as opposed to school studying?

Usually, you should browse through the book and ID topics you are weak at. Then spend time studying for it bit by bit until you start getting bored with the topic. When that happens you can switch to the next topic you are weak at. repeat until all topics are clearer/make sense.

You're studying for a whole year? Kudos to you for that but I honestly don't think you need more than 2.5 months of solid studying if even that. However, if you want to do little bit at a time so that it sticks than the year plan will work out well. just make sure it doesn't interfere with your schooling, you don't want a low GPA holding you back despite a killer MCAT.

Thanks Microbiodude!

Really only 2.5 months? I based my year off of friend who did it and scored about a 32R. Which is about where I want to be. I think you might be right though because I am a Bio major and I already take org chem and bio (no physics) I might need less time. Maybe during the year I shouldn't study, I really think I need a good GPA, I mean I can always retake the MCAT it's another 40,000 to retake my GPA.

Archived