Premed 101 Forums

Transfer Student....

I am new to this forum....and its really motivational to read everyone's journey to prepare themselves for med school....i just had a question...

i have switched programs/universites a couple of times...and my GPA has been fluctuating...

I am applying to York in the winter term, and they said that I would apply as a transfer student, and my previous courses from my other uni.'s if applicaple would be accepted as transfers and would just be shown as *passed* on my york transcripts and not be calculated in my GPA.

Fall 2005-Fall 2006: Full Time

Winter: '07: Took half a term off

Fall 2007-Fall 2009: Part time studies

*don't know if being in school full time or part time makes a difference in the GPA*

I was wondering how med schools would look at this? Would they just take my four yrs that i do @ York and use that into the calculation of my GPA? or they would take my other marks from my previous uni/programs into the calculation? And would it look badly on my part that i switched programs so many times? and marks fluctuated @ previous schools....? What if im able to maintain a good GPA @ York, would they not care that my previous GPA from other schools are bad?

Thanks...hopefully its not confusin what im tryin to ask lol

You pose an interesting question and no doubt, in due course, rmorelan will come to the rescue with his wisdom. Meanwhile, I believe that "pass" hides your past, however, you may be obliged to send transcripts from your previous university/universities, so your past then reappears. In one sens, you start wi8th a clean slate, however, as med schools require transcripts from all post secondary insititutions, my answer is incomplete. Sorry, but others will have more useful information. Welcome to the forum Jocelyn.

I am new to this forum....and its really motivational to read everyone's journey to prepare themselves for med school....i just had a question...

i have switched programs/universites a couple of times...and my GPA has been fluctuating...

I am applying to York in the winter term, and they said that I would apply as a transfer student, and my previous courses from my other uni.'s if applicaple would be accepted as transfers and would just be shown as *passed* on my york transcripts and not be calculated in my GPA.

Fall 2005-Fall 2006: Full Time

Winter: '07: Took half a term off

Fall 2007-Fall 2009: Part time studies

*don't know if being in school full time or part time makes a difference in the GPA*

I was wondering how med schools would look at this? Would they just take my four yrs that i do @ York and use that into the calculation of my GPA? or they would take my other marks from my previous uni/programs into the calculation? And would it look badly on my part that i switched programs so many times? and marks fluctuated @ previous schools....? What if im able to maintain a good GPA @ York, would they not care that my previous GPA from other schools are bad?

Thanks...hopefully its not confusin what im tryin to ask lol

Med schools require you to send in all transcripts from all post secondary institutes that you have attended. Thus, I think they will probably see all your marks from each university and use all of them to calculate your GPA. It would be a good question to email to the schools you want to apply to. I am sure you are not the first one in this situation so hopefully they would get back to you with a quick answer.

As for your other questions...I am not too sure.

I've emailed the schools, just wating for a reply....

But I was able to find the answer to my question on McMaster's site...

Q: If I have a bad year, will it be used in the GPA calculation?

The GPA is calculated on all undergraduate university course work you have ever done. No allowances are made for how many years ago the work was done or circumstances that may have caused you to have lower marks. If you feel that a mark on your transcript is low because of circumstances beyond your control, you must address this with the Registrar of the university you attended. If the mark is removed from your transcript, we will not use it. Our academic assessment is based upon the information on your transcript.

I guess I just have to see the policies from other schools....

Archived