Premed 101 Forums

Turned my ways around...but too late?

I was wondernig if anyone has any idea how my situation may work....did my playing around ways during my first 2 yrs ruin my chances for med school?

During my first year of university I did a full course load, and I had a GPA of 3.6

However because of personal reasons I had to drop to part time for my second year, where my GPA was 2.0 for Fall term, and in the winter term I failed....GPA was probably at 1.90

After my second year, I transferred to a new University, and new degree and started at year one again. I am currently in my fourth year with my cummulative GPA at 3.89. Each year my GPA has been over 3.8....I was wondering how my GPA would be calculated? Would my GPA include all the courses that I have taken throughout my Undergrad? Or just my four years at my current university? And previous GPA from my first two years from my previous university would not be used?

I know at McMaster they use all ur undergrad marks, but for some schools they use only Best 2? Or even Best 3 years...

Thanks...I just hope my playing around during the first couple years of my Uni. life didn't ruin my chance of Med. School. :confused: :confused: That when med schools see my past failure they won't even give me a chance at an interview. :( :(

I'm in the exact same boat--I had quit in the second year of my first attempt at an undergrad and didn't withdraw from my classes (8fs and 2 ds!!!!!!!!!!). You can imagine what that did to my GPA.

I'm currently transferred and finishing up my undergrad with an A average. My academic advisers assure me that my past will not be held against me--in fact, it can show a growth in maturity and discernment. A perseverance and persistence that you can pick yourself up, dust off, and try again!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who bummed their first attempt at life. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on the school. Some take your best two years. Some weight your last 60 credits and your pre-requisite marks heavier than your overall average. Some treat retaking courses by averaging the two marks and some take the best mark. You should read the admissions info on the universities that you are most interested in and go from there.

some quick answers, others might want to confirm. off the top of my head.

toronto all classes.

mcgill the recent undergrad

queens best 2 years

same for western.

ottawa last 3 years

i think mac is the same.

Toronto = Entire academic history w/ some emphasis on research publications

UBC = Entire academic history but w/ some emphasis on last 2 years

McMaster, Alberta, Manitoba, Calgary = Entire academic history

Queen's, Dalhousie, Saskatchewan = Last 2 years

Ottawa = Last 3 years

UWO = Best 2 years

NOSM = most recent undergrad

I don't know much about the Quebec med schools since most don't apply too favourably to an Ontarian. Is it really true that McGill only looks at the most recent undergrad?

Archived