Premed 101 Forums

MCAT writing sample question

Ubiquitous_Me

Hey guys! I am having trouble with this one prompt.

"Alliances between nations are more often a matter of economics than of shared ideologies.

Describe a specific situation in which an alliance between nations might be a matter of shared ideology. Discuss what you think determines when alliances between nations are a matter of economics and when they are a matter of shared ideologies"

This is what I am thinking. If an alliance is formed to prevent harm by a country that is threatening other countries then it can be considered that the alliance is for economic reasons because they would need assistance if they are to go into war with the powerful country. Conversely, if the alliance is formed not in response to international threats then the alliance would be ideological.

Do you guys think that this is a valid criterion? I don't have much knowledge on alliances and can't think of good examples. Any explanation would we helpful.

Thanks!

Hey guys! I am having trouble with this one prompt.

"Alliances between nations are more often a matter of economics than of shared ideologies.

Describe a specific situation in which an alliance between nations might be a matter of shared ideology. Discuss what you think determines when alliances between nations are a matter of economics and when they are a matter of shared ideologies"

This is what I am thinking. If an alliance is formed to prevent harm by a country that is threatening other countries then it can be considered that the alliance is for economic reasons because they would need assistance if they are to go into war with the powerful country. Conversely, if the alliance is formed not in response to international threats then the alliance would be ideological.

Do you guys think that this is a valid criterion? I don't have much knowledge on alliances and can't think of good examples. Any explanation would we helpful.

Thanks!

Hi there! Yeah that is actually a tougher question. Probably should be put into the MCAT thread, where it can be properly looked at :)

Archived