Premed 101 Forums

Tablet PC

So I didn't purchase the tablet from the school, but I need a new laptop. Does anyone have an HP Tablet (the newer touchsmart one)? How about the Toshiba one (I think it's Protege?) I've had an HP notebook in the past, and it was the biggest piece of **** so I'm a little leary about their tablet, but reviews are saying it's one of the best available and the price isn't too bad....

any advice would be awesome! Not even sure if I'll end up getting a tablet ;)

I would advise against HP...Im not a big fan of theirs. I've tried their tablets and did not like them very much. The toshiba tablet are ok, I didn't like the specs they offered nor the look. I bought a Lenovo, I did alot of research before buying one and they had the best reviews. I've had my x61t for almost two years and I've had no problems with it. I too the best warranty, and if anything goes wrong they fix it right away, and customer service is really good. They are a bit more expensive then HP but much better quality. The Dell ones are good but are extremly expensive because they have capacitive touch (they respond to touching the screen very lightly, like an iphone) and (i think) they have solid state drives...all that stuff makes for a ridiculously overpriced laptop. So my suggestion is buy a lenovo, either a x200t (thhe newest model) or a used x61t (the previous model, though there really isnt much difference...), you won't regret it!

Hope this helps!

On the flip side, I love my HP/Compaq TC1100 (I bought one of the last ones made, circa 2005, used on eBay for about $500). I'd be happier if it was a little thinner and ran a little cooler, but it really fits my needs. NB: I'm not a UO med student.

I also have heard rumours of an Apple tablet, and am very curious to see.

Good luck!

Hi

I'm a freelance journalist here in Toronto and I'm working on a story for a Back to School package for the Globe's technology pages.

My assignment is to look at tablet PCs and while I've used a couple of students here in Toronto in the past who use them at their private schools (Pickering College and Appleby College) I'd like to get someone we haven't used before talking about how they are weighing their choices for a tablet purchase.

In doing a web search for students and tablets I came across this forum.

I'm wondering anyone here would like to spend a couple of minutes chatting about your tablet choices for the stor, why you need one and have your picture taken by a Globe photog for the story.

I'm at ian@pitullmedia.ca or 416-699-6921. You can confirm the assignment by checking with msnider@globeandmail.com. Mike Snider is the technology editor.

regards

Ian Harvey

Archived