Premed 101 Forums

AAMC Practice Test

I was just wondering if there is any levels of difficulty as far the AAMC practice test go?? I just did the test 7 and found it harder than 4 and 5. I totally bombed the verbal and i have 5 more days to go. Anyone has some encouraging words???

You found it harder, but did your score change?

Some people do find some tests harder than others - particularly VR and WS. I wouldn't be surprised if someone found one test more challenging. Bit of luck there I suppose.

On the bright side the hard one would be better for preparing you for the actual test than one you did great on!

Yeah i guess. I got PS12, VR6 and BS11 so obviously am pissed off at the VR and i know this is my weakness :( So discouraged and dont know what can do in such a short amount of time to improve!!

That section does drive a lot of people up the walls for sure. What were you getting on the other MCAT tests on VR?

Have you tried summarizing every paragraph in one sentence? I find it helps me keep a general outline of the passage as well as give a good idea about the tone/attitude of the author.

Also - another strategy that I learned in TPR that I don't see much on these boards is the MAPS where M = main idea, A = attidude, P = point of view (expert opinion, etc.), and S = specific examples. Try filling in all 4 in a chart format for each passage and you can pretty much answer most of the questions.

Just some thoughts - hope it helps!

Have you tried summarizing every paragraph in one sentence? I find it helps me keep a general outline of the passage as well as give a good idea about the tone/attitude of the author.

Also - another strategy that I learned in TPR that I don't see much on these boards is the MAPS where M = main idea, A = attidude, P = point of view (expert opinion, etc.), and S = specific examples. Try filling in all 4 in a chart format for each passage and you can pretty much answer most of the questions.

Just some thoughts - hope it helps!

Hey did you take the test yet and how did you do on VR. I've just started using TPR's method and it seems to be working better for me. Did you do those passages in the TPR "cracking the MCAT" bk? are they just easy or am i finally see light at the end of the tunnel???

I was just wondering if there is any levels of difficulty as far the AAMC practice test go?? I just did the test 7 and found it harder than 4 and 5. I totally bombed the verbal and i have 5 more days to go. Anyone has some encouraging words???

The Princeton Review site for those who enrolled in their course specifically says that AAMC tests 7 and 8 are harder than the current MCAT being administered so I wouldn't fret too too much. They also say AAMC 3 is significantly easier than the current MCAT which I'm sure many people have said as well

I found my score varied between the tests too, especially my VR score. I scored 10s and 11s on the practice and got 12 on the real thing. But on BS I kept scoring 12s and 13s on the practice and 11 on the actual MCAT. So for me there isn't a tremendous amount of consistency between tests, so hopefully you'll get lucky. :cool:

Oh, and I got 8 on the VR the first time I wrote the MCAT last year. It is possible to conquer the beast! Hope that inspires you. :)

I haven't taken the real MCAT yet - I write on Friday! But I have been using TPR format that I mentioned and got a 12 on AAMC #7.

As for the book you mentioned, I actually haven't done any of those - just the ones we do in class and the ones on the practice exams. My big problem is O Chem :( so I have been working mainly on that.

PM me if you have any more specific questions I can help with.

just as a sidenote:

The real MCAT is much harder in terms of everything except writing.

Verbal passages will be much longer, sciences will be much trickier.

If you're having trouble with verbal now, you're most likely screwed for test day.

ouch

(10 char)

just as a sidenote:

If you're having trouble with verbal now, you're most likely screwed for test day.

I have to disagree a bit with that; I've written the exam twice now and I do agree the sciences are trickier... the AAMC practice tests give you the simplified versions of things and the real MCAT somehow warps stuff to make it much more complicated (I found this was the case in particular for PS). However, I think the Verbal is comparable.. people have said the passages are longer - this may be true but I didn't notice that when I wrote this year... I think as long as you keep your strategy the same for the Verbal (if you've been doing well), the real MCAT shouldn't be able to trip you up on that section.

just as a sidenote:

IMO this only holds true with practice 3R. Otherwise I found the style of questions and passages to be same, but the caliber of difficulty is just higher. Not OMG-its-all-over higher, but just noticeably so. Otherwise the VR passages seem the same length, and the science passages didn't seem that much more tricky.

Archived