Premed 101 Forums

"OMSAS Length"

Hello Everyone,

I am slightly confused by what OMSAS defines as "Full Time" -- as per the application system:

"You have attended 'Full time' if, based on the Ontario traditional academic year system, you have the equivalent of 3 full time courses or 6 half courses. Two consecutive semesters should be grouped together as 'Full time'. Rarely should the total lengths exceed ten."

On my application academic summary, I have entered all of my academic information giving a semester course (Sept-Dec or Jan-Apr) a value of 1 and a full year course (Sept-Apr) a value of 2. I ended up with an "OMSAS Length" of 20 and was wondering if this goes against was is bolded above.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I am slightly confused by what OMSAS defines as "Full Time" -- as per the application system:

"You have attended 'Full time' if, based on the Ontario traditional academic year system, you have the equivalent of 3 full time courses or 6 half courses. Two consecutive semesters should be grouped together as 'Full time'. Rarely should the total lengths exceed ten."

On my application academic summary, I have entered all of my academic information giving a semester course (Sept-Dec or Jan-Apr) a value of 1 and a full year course (Sept-Apr) a value of 2. I ended up with an "OMSAS Length" of 20 and was wondering if this goes against was is bolded above.

Thanks!

I believe that a semestered course counts as 0.5 traditional credits, and a full year course counts as 1.0 traditional credits.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!

You must have messed up somehow, since 5 full year credits (sept-apr) x 2 = 10

That's 5 credits in a year.

I took 10 half credits last year and put them all at 1 so I got 10.

Unless, of course, you're a beast and took 10 credits in a year :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Any UWO students out there that can provide some insights?

Page of the OMSAS Guide reads:

Full-year course: weight of 2 (Sept - Apr, correct?)

Half-year course: weight of 1

Semester course: weight of 1 (Sept - Dec or Jan - Apr, correct?)

Three-quarter course: weight of 1.5

Archived