Premed 101 Forums

high school awards

For high school awards, in which no money value or anything like that is attached, what would you put for duration? The duration of grade 12 (ie. Sept-June) in which the academics for the award were demonstrated... or just put June-June, and 'n/a' for duration? (that is what I have currently)

So are you talking about putting Sept-June (in which the award is given in June)?

By the way, what about uni scholarships which have an attached money value... put the academic year in which the marks for the scholarship were obtained? the academic year in which the money from the scholarship is being 'used' (because I suppose that is technically when you 'have' the scholarship?) Or again, August 2009-August 2009 (the month in which the scholarship is awarded? Thoughts?

I think it makes more sense for one-time awards, to just put the date you got the award (like you said, August 08 - August 08).

If it's a renewable award that's dependent on you maintaining your grades or involvement with an organization, then I'd go with something like August 06 to Current...referring to the time that you actually "have" the scholarship and are continuing to renew it, not what the timeframe the award was dependednt on.

In the end though, it probably doesn't even matter to the committee...I'm sure they get all sorts of variations.

Sorry. Lets start again. For 'duration', your approach of n/a is best. And in the 'Qualification' part, you put why you got the award, e.g., academic excellence during academic year. And for the scholarship, yes 'August 2009-August 2009' is correct. I recieved an award for a competiton, and under 'duration' I same mo, same yr. - same mo., same yr. For 'duration', I put '1 day', underr 'Qualifications' I put 'Technical and artistic competence' and for 'Competiton Involved' I put 'Nationwide'. Hope that helps.

Archived