Premed 101 Forums

Anybody in email contact with Dal admissions?

Hi all,

I'm a non-trad applicant who will be applying for admission in the class of 2014 at Dal.

More than a week ago I sent an email containing a few questions to the admissions office using the medicine.admissions email address. It says right on their website that they "are delighted to handle inquiries from such individuals who may need some counselling for preparation for application." Seeing as I definitely fall into this category of applicant, I sent a brief email outlining a few questions I have, and asked if it would be preferable to discuss these issues by email or by phone.

The problem is, I haven't heard a peep back from them. Has anyone else been in email contact with admissions lately? I'm wondering if this type of delay is normal or not, and if it would be preferable to directly contact one of the individuals listed on the contacts page. I'm just not sure how to follow this up, because I don't want to come across as being pushy.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Neptune

I sent an e-mail on Friday the 14th and received a brief response on Monday the 17th...

The funny thing was I sent it to the general dal admissions address by mistake and they forwarded it to the medical office who then responded....

Maybe I found a secret path to their attention lol...

Hmm. So I guess that confirms the office isn't closed, and maybe my message just got lost somehow. I sent my message on the 18th, so perhaps I'll just send a quick 'follow up' email today asking if they recieved my initial email.

Thanks!

Neptune

I haven't spoken with the admissions office lately but they may be a bit busy with the incoming class, but it's also possible that your email got lost in the shuffle. Maybe you could give them a few more days and then send a follow-up email if you haven't heard back.

Hi all,

I'm a non-trad applicant who will be applying for admission in the class of 2014 at Dal.

More than a week ago I sent an email containing a few questions to the admissions office using the medicine.admissions email address. It says right on their website that they "are delighted to handle inquiries from such individuals who may need some counselling for preparation for application." Seeing as I definitely fall into this category of applicant, I sent a brief email outlining a few questions I have, and asked if it would be preferable to discuss these issues by email or by phone.

The problem is, I haven't heard a peep back from them. Has anyone else been in email contact with admissions lately? I'm wondering if this type of delay is normal or not, and if it would be preferable to directly contact one of the individuals listed on the contacts page. I'm just not sure how to follow this up, because I don't want to come across as being pushy.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Neptune

I fall under the "non traditional" background and met with them in 2008 for the same reasons. I was recently accepted for the class of 2013. If you want to shoot me any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Send me a PM or do it in this thread, whatever works.

I haven't spoken with the admissions office lately but they may be a bit busy with the incoming class, but it's also possible that your email got lost in the shuffle. Maybe you could give them a few more days and then send a follow-up email if you haven't heard back.

I dont know..I emailed them a question regarding a registration issue, and they're not replying to me either.

Well, I did receive a very tersely worded reply to my email today. My questions weren't totally answered, but I think I'll leave it for now because it sounds like they are pretty busy.

And zombiegirl1979, did you actually have a telephone or face-to-face interaction with the admissions office, or was all the communication by email? I think I would really appreciate being able to speak with someone, because email is a bit restrictive. However, I'm not sure if asking for a phone conversation would be considered unusual. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your advice!

What's the question? Might be able to help...

I got an email from Tracy saying that if I was currently employed at Dal, I would need to have that employment terminate before registration day. However, currently, it terminates on registration day, and I was wondering if that would be a problem.

Hmmm.... are you employed full-time with Dal? I've never heard of this as a problem before. I'm technically still employed as a casual by Dal although I don't actually work anymore. But if I go online to dalonline for staff it still lists me as active rather than terminated. No one has ever told me that this is a problem. You could always try calling the registrar's office to see if there is a problem. But I would think that if the termination is the same day as registration they can't complain too much. I'm guessing she didn't tell you what would happen if you weren't terminated in time?

I got an email from Tracy saying that if I was currently employed at Dal, I would need to have that employment terminate before registration day. However, currently, it terminates on registration day, and I was wondering if that would be a problem.

I'm guessing you'll be okay. Anyone in a grad program is supposed to be all done prior to registration as well, but more than a few of us still hadn't tied up all the loose ends until well until the fall. So you ought to be okay. If worse comes to worse, call the office (email is never ideal), or try getting in touch with Undergrad Med Education office. They might be able to answer faster.

Well, I did receive a very tersely worded reply to my email today. My questions weren't totally answered, but I think I'll leave it for now because it sounds like they are pretty busy.

And zombiegirl1979, did you actually have a telephone or face-to-face interaction with the admissions office, or was all the communication by email? I think I would really appreciate being able to speak with someone, because email is a bit restrictive. However, I'm not sure if asking for a phone conversation would be considered unusual. :confused:

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I met with them face-to face. I did it in the spring and they gave me 15 mins or so. I didn't feel rushed and asked plenty of questions. I even brought my transcript and a list of my EC's and they gave me good feedback.

Archived