Premed 101 Forums

My age, my chances and the army!

dendroica

I am considering returning to school and applying for Med School at Ottawa U. I will be turning 37 this year. Is this a problem? I already have a B.Sc in biology (3.72 / 4 GPA) and a M.Sc in biology (3.95/4.3 gpa). Is it worth applying at my age? I am thinking of getting sponsored under the armed forces MMTP program. Does that improve chances of getting accepted?

Any advice?

cheers

I don't know whether it improves your chances or not, although I thought that certain spots were reserved for the military. However, you canonly get into the MOTP after acceptance and that may anwer your question. On the basis that you are compatible to the military culture, it is a super beautiful program. And being at your stage, your tuition and books are paid, you have a nice salary, and you are part of the terrific pension plan, and you are serving your country - a win/win situation.

Regaridng your age, there arer older applicants and acceptees, so don't worry. And all med students are mature at anhy age and have a common goal, it is like doing battle together, so don't worry about the bonding, just get in. Moreover, the adcoms are keen so if they thought age was a problem, you wouldn't be here now. Perception is reality, please, please perceive your age as a mere number, in fact, your increased majority and life experience only works to your benefit. Good luck!

PS Are there two different military programs known by two separate names? Check out MOTP withthe search function on this forum.

There's a difference between the MOTP and the MMTP. MOTP is for people who join the army after getting accepted on their own, while MMTP is for people who have been with the army for a few years and are eligible for seats reserved for the military.

Also, I'd say your age would easily put you in the top 5% of your class, if not the top 2%. Most of your co-students will be younger than 25, and about 80% will be younger than 30.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but make sure you check the GPA requirements and calculate where you sit for the schools you are interested in applying to. Ottawa has a notoriously high minimum GPA requirement you must meet before they will even look at your application. It is somewhere in the 3.85+ region (for your best 3 years?) unless you are from Ottawa or are Francophone. Others on here know more about this than me.

Yeah, there's a sticky weighted average, but 3.85 is the basic cutoff. It helps if you have a 3.95 in your most recent year, that way you can get away with a 3.7 in your 3rd most recent year, but it has to work out to a 3.85.

You can find the weighting formula by doing some research.

Archived