Premed 101 Forums

Dropped out of 1st year course

Guest alicia009999

Guest alicia009999

I dropped a course in my first year (though my transcript states it as a "voluntary withdrawal". Will this completely eliminate my chances of being accepted into a Canadian med school?

Guest browsing

your chances may be reduced, but here's how to fix it:

a) if you were having personal/medical problems

B) apply as a mature/grad student

c) make up for the missing credit through summer/correspondence/next school year

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neddy15

i don't understand why your chances of getting in would be diminished at all. if you dropped a course and you make it up, it makes no differences as long as you have the prerequisites, and the neccessary 15 courses. Can someone explain?

Guest vaso vasorum

Well, it certainly doesn't make your application look BETTER. I guess it shows something like not being able to complete what you start, or quitting instead of trying to work it back up, or a host of other annoying cliches. Who knows?

Guest chin up

I honestly don't think you have to worry, alicia009999. I've dropped a couple of courses with similar transcript comments to yours, and that didn't stop me from getting in this year.

I think that the comment about how it shows a "quitter" attitude could be valid, and it's true that it won't make your application any better, but as long as you've got your prerequisites and enough courses to fill in a proper course load, you're fine. Your marks - which I assume are good if you're applying to med school - should speak for the fact that you know how to work hard and see things through. (Ah, the annoying cliches... plenty of those on this road.)

Archived