Premed 101 Forums

Masters in Public Health?

Hey guys!

I didn't get into any med schools this time around (GPA was high, but my first MCAT score was a 29, which clearly didn't help).

Anyway, I'm taking a year off (I decided NOT to proceed directly into a masters of science program, because I'm not that keen on science research and don't want to do it simply because I think it'll help me get into med school if I re-apply).

Anyway, something I am interested in is a masters in Public Health, particularly global/international health and epidemiology. Has anyone taken this route and got into a med school after they finished? I realize that I would lose three years if I was to reapply (my year off + 2 years of an MPH) and would be considered a mature student, but at the same time, I think that doing an MPH would give me a lot of great experiences that I can use as a physician. I am also more interested in researching the social aspects of health, rather than the purely scientific part of it (as a MSc would lead me to do).

I'm also thinking of getting into a U.S. school for my MPH just because there are more options there and more accredited programs. Any thoughts/advice?

public health 'accreditation' is a tricky thing, and in canada, it doesn't really mean much. most schools here are going for our own version of accreditation though, so if you stay, you're in good company. i'm doing my MPH right now here in C-country, and my suggestion is don't give up on canadian schools entirely (especially if you plan to practice medicine here) but do your research and contact the schools regarding their programming.

after all, an MPH doesn't actually 'accredit' you to do anything specific anywhere really; accreditation is more about a standard of learning available in most schools. and since money for professional programs is sparse both here and in the US, you're looking at some hefty fees (plus what you'll eventually owe for med school) if you go abroad. MPH's here are not the same as US or UK MPH's (which do have their own accreditation systems, and which differ from each other). i've gone to many international conferences in public health, and people have MHSc's, MSc's, MIH's, MHI's, MPHSc's, and all sorts of variations on that theme. no one cares.

Hey guys!

I didn't get into any med schools this time around (GPA was high, but my first MCAT score was a 29, which clearly didn't help).

Anyway, I'm taking a year off (I decided NOT to proceed directly into a masters of science program, because I'm not that keen on science research and don't want to do it simply because I think it'll help me get into med school if I re-apply).

Anyway, something I am interested in is a masters in Public Health, particularly global/international health and epidemiology. Has anyone taken this route and got into a med school after they finished? I realize that I would lose three years if I was to reapply (my year off + 2 years of an MPH) and would be considered a mature student, but at the same time, I think that doing an MPH would give me a lot of great experiences that I can use as a physician. I am also more interested in researching the social aspects of health, rather than the purely scientific part of it (as a MSc would lead me to do).

I'm also thinking of getting into a U.S. school for my MPH just because there are more options there and more accredited programs. Any thoughts/advice?

I am in the exact same situation as you.

I'm taking a year off right now, have a really good GPA (last 3 years = 3.93), but mediocre MCAT that won't get me anywhere but Saskatchewan (but my GPA isn't even high enough to get an interview there)

You may also want to consider an MHSc (Masters of Health Science) - Degrees such as epidemiology and biostatistics. My friend said she had some great experiences doing her MHSc at UT studying epidemiology (16 months).

If I don't get in for 2010, I may end up doing the Biostatistics MSc at UT (a 1 year program), but its course based

From what I've been reading, MPH's are geared more towards people already with professional degrees.

Hey shann, nice to hear from another person in the same boat as me!! It doesn't help that my parents think a year off is the worst possible thing I can do to myself.

Anyway, what sort of things are you planning on doing during your year off? I definitely want to try and get some volunteering experience abroad, as well as re-write the MCATs.

As for the MPH, I do know that a lot of programs do accept students with only a bachelors degree, here in Canada as well as in the U.S., where I have also looked into some programs. I started the application process for Public Health Schools in the U.S. using SOPHAS, but again, one thing to think about is the tuition costs etc as silvrsleuth said. I think my reasoning is that I want to do a masters program that will allow me to get a job easily, if my med school plans do not pan out, and it has to be something I am interested in (which is why a Masters in Micro/Molecular Biology does not sound appealing).

I'm taking a year off right now, have a really good GPA (last 3 years = 3.93), but mediocre MCAT that won't get me anywhere but Saskatchewan (but my GPA isn't even high enough to get an interview there)

You may also want to consider an MHSc (Masters of Health Science) - Degrees such as epidemiology and biostatistics. My friend said she had some great experiences doing her MHSc at UT studying epidemiology (16 months).

If I don't get in for 2010, I may end up doing the Biostatistics MSc at UT (a 1 year program), but its course based

From what I've been reading, MPH's are geared more towards people already with professional degrees.

Note that the Biostats MSc at UofT is not a funded program. Though I recall receiving some kind of partial scholarship. Do not go into (much) debt for a grad degree! You're right about MPHs and I think the same holds for MHSc's.

3.93 on a 4.0 scale?

Are you OOP or IP?

That's insane... I thought USask cutoff for OOP was 3.9/4.0

Note that the Biostats MSc at UofT is not a funded program. Though I recall receiving some kind of partial scholarship. Do not go into (much) debt for a grad degree!

Sigh, unfortunately you are correct, the MSc at UT for Biostats is not funded, and I'll have to fund it myself.

Luckily, I have been working since the age of 13, have never gotten into debt even after 5 years of undergrad, and have ~$25K saved up.

Tuition is ~9K + I'm guessing ~$1K books. Almost half my savings, but...still very tempting. I enjoy stats and research (but I don't want to get into it as a career though, lol).

I guess the main thing that is drawing me to the program is that it is 1 year

3.93 on a 4.0 scale?

Are you OOP or IP?

That's insane... I thought USask cutoff for OOP was 3.9/4.0

USask uses a %age scale :(

My 3.93 / 4.0 converted to a 90.3% when the cutoff was 92.4% :eek:

Hey shann, nice to hear from another person in the same boat as me!! It doesn't help that my parents think a year off is the worst possible thing I can do to myself.

Anyway, what sort of things are you planning on doing during your year off? I definitely want to try and get some volunteering experience abroad, as well as re-write the MCATs.

As for the MPH, I do know that a lot of programs do accept students with only a bachelors degree, here in Canada as well as in the U.S., where I have also looked into some programs. I started the application process for Public Health Schools in the U.S. using SOPHAS, but again, one thing to think about is the tuition costs etc as silvrsleuth said. I think my reasoning is that I want to do a masters program that will allow me to get a job easily, if my med school plans do not pan out, and it has to be something I am interested in (which is why a Masters in Micro/Molecular Biology does not sound appealing).

Don't worry about the parents =p

My parents were pissed when I transferred universities for undergrad, pissed that I took my time getting my degree and that I'm taking a year off. But in the end of the day, it is our lives. We'll be working for the next 30 - 40 years, time off here and there is okay :D

With my year off, I'm trying to get a research position somewhere. It is proving to be a little more difficult than I thought though. I was offered a couple positions, but I had them rescinded because I couldn't start them on time. :(

But I'm looking into other options. Volunteering abroad is appealing to me as well. I also want to earn enough this year so that I won't be in debt while in Med school (I'll need probably around another $40K or so, and I'll have to invest it properly).

MCAT is another thing, really bumming me out, I really need to amp up my score (crossing fingers, score gets released on Tuesday, but I am registered to write Sept 4 if the score doesn't turn out the way I need it to)

I believe Epidemiology and Biostatistics are pretty good fields to get into (MHSc and MSc degrees). They will basically allow you to get a job at the majority of research positions at hospitals, or even lead into government health positions (from my understanding)

Take a look at UT's programs, lots of interesting options (and within Canada!)

http://www.dallalana.utoronto.ca/AppInfo_Prog.asp

Sigh, unfortunately you are correct, the MSc at UT for Biostats is not funded, and I'll have to fund it myself.

Luckily, I have been working since the age of 13, have never gotten into debt even after 5 years of undergrad, and have ~$25K saved up.

Tuition is ~9K + I'm guessing ~$1K books. Almost half my savings, but...still very tempting. I enjoy stats and research (but I don't want to get into it as a career though, lol).

I guess the main thing that is drawing me to the program is that it is 1 year.

I don't remember it being quite that expensive, but I decided to opt for a funded biostats degree at Waterloo (that requires a math background though).

I don't remember it being quite that expensive, but I decided to opt for a funded biostats degree at Waterloo (that requires a math background though).

I thought it was $9K, maybe I read it wrong, but I can't seem to find that info anymore.

How do you find biostatistics in general? Is the loo program a 1 or 2 year degree?

An MPH or its variation is quite helpful with getting a good job...and it will give the either side of medicine...that is prevention science...when I was in grad school we talked extensively about the limitations of medicine...the discussion was even more fruitful as several of my classmates were already MDs...

An MPH will also gives you excellent communication and writing skills that may prove useful for a career in medicine (or so I have been told)...

Furthermore, in terms of MCAT some friends of mine with low scores (23 and 26 respectively) have MPHs and both are now in med school so it does not hurt to have this on your application...

Lastly, my school, SFU, is having their MPH program accredited as we speak. They are getting it from the American Schools of Public Health...of which only 2 or 3 schools outside the US have...it may not affect the learning of those taking the degree but it might look good on resume saying you have an accredited degree...

MPH07! Wow, you are like a fresh of breath air...can I say I love you? Male or female, doesn't matter.

Anyway, yes I did realize that SFU is being accredited (well they say on their website that it will be official by May 2010), and so it has become my top Canadian school!

Just wondering, how easy is it to get into the program, and do they ask for a lot of public health experience (which I don't necessarily have).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

havefaith,

The program itself can be quite competitive...When I applied I was part of the first group of students in the program...18 people out of 85 were accepted...now I believe it is something like 20-25 people out of 400-500 people are accepted...

That said I still keep in contact with some of the faculty and know they are looking for well rounded individuals who definitely want to pursue public health...not just for something to do until med school calls...

Most people, in not all, in my class and those I met in successive classes have previous experience with public health issues...either HIV research, work experience, life experience (e.g. family comes from 3rd world country) etc...for myself I did HIV research with injection drug users in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside and worked for years with addicts in my personal life...

Grades going into the program are definitely not a make or break situation...they are almost secondary compared to the reasons you want to pursue the degree (which is VITAL!!)...

If you are young and do not, necessarily, have all this experience and reasons as to why you want to get the degree...then I suggest getting the MScPH option...you take all the same courses as your peers but have to do a thesis option...and with all the expertise available in the department (from virology to the social determinants of health...the latter of course would be a combo of qualitative and quantitative research) it may be a useful avenue...

The best part of the program was the fact you are part of cohort (unless doing MScPH option which may take longer) for the duration of the degree and you really get to know your peers...

Finally...there is also a new $50 million health sciences building (which I never got to use!!) that is completely state of the art and brings all the disciplines under one roof...exciting to say the least...hope this helps...

havefaith,

one more thing...the program itself is quite challenging...there is a lot of courses needed for degree (from health policy to statistics) and TONS of reading...many of my classmates who were MDs and nurses mentioned that the workload was very heavy...so coming from those in a profession where workload is expected to be heavy...then you are forewarned 8-)

Hey MPH07 ... Well, that brought me back down to unhappiness really fast. LOL. :(

I DON'T have experience in the Public Health field, I haven't had a chance to work on anything as important as HIV research, etc. I have volunteered at the hospital, and I volunteer as a palliative care assistant.

All I do know is that I'm not doing this in order to become a better candidate for med school, but because it really interests me, and I would like to pursue a career in it. Well, I DO come from a third-world country, but I don't know how much that will do for my application ...

I really have no idea how I would even try and find the volunteering experience that seems necessary ... when first of all, I need to work (and I'd probably choose any work that I can get at this point to something that will look good for a masters program since I need the money) ...

Well, I was hired to be an intern for an Environmental Public Health NGO, however now they may not have the funding to hire me, so it may become a voluntary position. FML.

havefaith,

Do not worry...just apply and see what happens...explain why public health is important and why you wish to pursue the degree...utilize your life experiences...and working/volunteering for a NGO will definitely help...also remember that the application is not due until Feb 2010 so you have plenty of time to think about what you want from the degree etc...

Also, do any job you want...not what might or might not look good on an application...you will not be penalized for making decisions based on monetary factors...if helping people is what you want for a career then find one...also for volunteering...just Google volunteer positions in your province and see what happens...look for something that is about helping the public...look for board member positions...there is tons...you just need to spend some time looking...

Archived