Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Dental Program in University of Winnipeg

that isn't a major is it? did any of you take this program? does it fulfil all the requirements to apply for dental school in winnipeg, meaning I can take the whole program (which I believe is 2 years in length) and apply for dent school right after? thanks in advance :)

It seems that U of Winnipeg is trying to change towards the US system where there are pre-professional programs. I looked into their web site. This is what is listed.

Pre-Dentistry

Dentists treat the diseases and conditions that affect the mouth, jaws, teeth, and supporting tissues. At The University of Winnipeg, you will complete your first two years of study (60 credit hours) to fulfill the entrance requirements for dentistry at the University of Manitoba or other universities across Canada.

It just means you can apply for dental school in your third year which is the same in all other undergrad majors (as long as you have taken the required courses).

Also, they are exaggerating a bit. There's no way you would be able to fulfill the entrance requirements for all other universities in Canada because each one has their own set of required courses, ie. English for UBC, Physiology for others, Language for Quebec.

Honestly, if you really want to help yourself in dental school, complete a degree in dental hygiene while taking all the required courses. It will put you ahead in a number of areas including psychomotor skills. Furthermore, it will give you a decent income while you apply to dental school.

Archived