Premed 101 Forums

What about upcoming items?

Normally, it wouldn't be right to include events that you "intend" on doing and it might seem logical to the adcoms that applicants only write about experiences they've had - not will have. However, going to Africa is a significant commitment, so perhaps it wouldn't hurt to include it, if you clarify perhaps why you waited until after the application deadline to pursue such an endeavor (i.e. wanted to do it for yourself, not just do it to beef up your CV).

Normally, it wouldn't be right to include events that you "intend" on doing and it might seem logical to the adcoms that applicants only write about experiences they've had - not will have. However, going to Africa is a significant commitment, so perhaps it wouldn't hurt to include it, if you clarify perhaps why you waited until after the application deadline to pursue such an endeavor (i.e. wanted to do it for yourself, not just do it to beef up your CV).

wouldn't that be a contradiction? haha.

i would say not to include it because no one can verify that you will actually go on this trip, and you wouldn't be in a position to list your role in the trip. to be honest they probably wont dock your score for putting it in but i doubt they would give it credit if you haven't done it yet.

you would definately be able to talk about it in your interview though

Not particularly - by "for yourself" I meant for personal reasons (e.g. wanting to help others) - rather than just pursuing an activity for the sake of making your resume more attractive.

Hence, the contradiction being, why include the upcoming item in your sketch?

I'd include it... by the time you have an interview, you'll have been to Kenya. Besides... application isn't due till October anyway :)

I agree with the others. The advice you're giving is contradictory. If it was for yourself then you wouldn't bother mentioning it on the CV. It seems like you're making the extra effort to put it on the CV in this case. And like everyone else has already said, no verifiers.

I intend to find a cure for cancer.. in a few years. :rolleyes:

Archived