Premed 101 Forums

just got my results for MCAT....my chances for admission 09/10?????

Hey guys,

I would greatly appreciate any advice into my chances for getting an interview or even getting accepted with these stats:

Alberta Resident

cGPA: 3.68

best 2 years: 3.85

MCAT: 31Q (11PS/8VR/12BS)

EC's include: volunteered at hospital for 5 years on the burn unit (only accumulated 250 hours though), volunteered overseas in Thailand building homes for tsunami victims, volunteer at drop in centre, worked as a porter and a OR nursing attendant, just started (40 hours) volunteering at a brain injury rehabilitation centre.

I did 2 months of research last summer (didn't get anything published). I will be pursuing a masters in neuroscience this fall and will be working hard on getting some papers published (unfortunately probably wont have anything published by the application date )

Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be awesome!

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Background:

Alberta Resident looking to apply to U of A and U of C in 2010 cycle

Just started third year

First year GPA 3.7

Second Year 3.88

Third Year: Hoping to maintain second year

Most Recent and only MCAT (10 10 10 R = 30 R)

ECs: usual hospital volunteering (started in high school and continuing at the same place), 1 summer research, church work, basketball, starting 3rd year as a coach for junior high age kids, usual Alberta scholarship and small stuff.

I am not applying this cycle.

Question: Should I retake MCAT? Only possibility of improvement is PS since I was getting 12 in AAMC practice tests. May be WS since TPR instructors gave me S and T in graded essays. Verbal was an uphill battle (only one time in AAMC it was 10). BS = 10 all the time, before, during and after prep time.

I wanted to travel during next summer which I would but I have this MCAT score which tells me to retake and summer is the best time for me to prepare.

Please provide any thoughts you have.

W

Just bumping up the thread and hoping for some response!

Thanks

I haven't started on this application yet and with all the apps going as well as life in general being distracting right now, I can't remember if this school takes your best or last MCAT score.

If you think you can improve, rewrite. If not, 30R is a decent score. Not the greatest but better than others. The big plus is that it is balanced.

Everything else on your application sounds like standard pre-med stuff. No idea how it'll be assessed.

Hope that helps:)

LL

I haven't started on this application yet and with all the apps going as well as life in general being distracting right now, I can't remember if this school takes your best or last MCAT score.

If you think you can improve, rewrite. If not, 30R is a decent score. Not the greatest but better than others. The big plus is that it is balanced.

Everything else on your application sounds like standard pre-med stuff. No idea how it'll be assessed.

Hope that helps:)

LL

Thanks for your input. I think I will re-write.

Oh, "standard pre-med stuff" - did you mean not extra-ordinary (i agree) or non-competitive (should i be worried??)

Thanks again

"standard pre-med stuff" - did you mean not extra-ordinary (i agree) or non-competitive (should i be worried??)

Thanks again

I am not on any admissions committees so I do not know how they look at extracurriculars. From your list, it sounds like you have typical experiences of other pre-meds of your university level (based on my own friends who got in/what i have read on this website). I guess what I meant was 'not extraordinary'...but really, not all of us can save several third world countries, cure multiple diseases, and be star athletes as well. Just do your best in your future application(s) to play up your strengths.

Hey bud!

Don't worry about the MCAT ruining your summer. I was worried about the same thing. My advice is to take it early, like the end of May. I did my second write at the end of May this time around, and I'm so glad I did. Having a tighter schedule let me focus more on what was important (mainly as many practice tests as possible). Then I still had 3 months to do some research and have an awesome 2 week road trip to Vancouver.

Your the best judge of how much time you need to prepare this time around. But if you take it early, you've still got a bit of a summer to work with :P

Archived