Premed 101 Forums

May 10-13 Interviews

Guest YongQ

Guest YongQ

Hey everybody,

Here it is, a "virgin thread" for any questions or concerns regarding the upcoming interviews... I'm gonna regulate this one so it stays reasonably <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> on topic<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, just to warn you guys. Really, just ask us anything. For those of you being interviewed on Sunday, I will be there in the morning.

YONGQ

Hi,

Got a couple of somewhat superficial questions about the type of rooms in which the interviews take place. Do these rooms typically have windows? Nice lighting? E.g. no 10-gigawatt projecting from behind the interviewers aimed to blind and intimidate the interviewee?

And also, how do the two interviewers generally position themselves? Do they sit side by side fairly close to each other?

Guest YongQ

I can only comment on my interview last year. It took place in an office. Full lighting, this isn't a police interrogation! My 2 interviewers and I were placed in a triangle. I was about 1.75 metres from each of them. They were about 1 metre apart. Hope this helps...

YONGQ

Thanks for the reply, YongQ.

One additional question: what do the interviewers at UofT have in front of them at the interview? I assume that they'll have my ABS, essay, reference letters. Will they have my transcript?

Thanks.

Guest aneliz

Hi,

Do you know how long the interview process takes at Toronto? (i.e. if I have an 11:00 arrival time, what time will I be done??) I am trying to plan my transportation home. What is the schedule for the day? Also, what do they do with the two pictures that you have to bring? See you Sun!

Guest YongQ

GG, I'm 100% sure they have your essay and ABS, and they don't have any marks. I'm not sure whether they have your reference letters, I'll ask a 2nd year tomorrow.

Aneliz, I think the pictures go to your interviewers, possibly to cue their memory of how you interviewed when they're looking over your application. Last year in fact, I was told to give my picture directly to my interviewers when I met them.

Well, firstly they take you to a lecture hall (not the main meds lecture hall though) to watch the admissions video and get a short presentation on mediacl student life. Then you go in groups to meet your orientation person (e.g. me) in the Dean's Conference Room, where there are refreshments and sandwiches. Depending on when your interview is, we either take you on a tour, or show you to your interview room. I'd give at most 1h15 for your interview, but I'll tell you right now most interviews are more like 45mins. Mine was 50 mins I think.

YONGQ

Guest ThugJaan

YongQ you are tour guiding on Sunday...I asked to tourguide on Sunday but no one emailed me back...I did it last time and it was pretty kool b.c for the first time in my life people acutally listened to me...lol...did they email you back to confirm if you were tourguiding?

Guest Groupie

It's too bad I don't have an interview on Sunday. Would've been fun to meet you all.

But wait a minute. All I have do is dress up in my best suit, put some pomade in my hair, show up in Rm 2172 at 8:30 AM looking unsure and anxious, and I'll blend right in with all the other interviewees! Then I'll be able to meet <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> the<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> YongQ, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> the<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> ThugJaan, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> and<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> steal a sandwich or two! I'm there! And imagine aftewards, I'll be able to tell all my friends that I met you! ;)

In all seriousness, though, when I went for my interview, the tour guides were all great. Way to go, guys (and gals).

Archived