Premed 101 Forums

April 20 and 21 interview weekend

Guest bluesky125

Guest xstatik

i heard of 8 graduate applicants receiving interviews for the april weekend. they were all from either the M.Sc. molecular genetics or immunology. good luck to them, and to all who haven't heard as yet.

Guest medwant2b

I got an invite for the April week-end and am also a grad. :) Perhaps, I'll see you there!

Good luck to those that still have to hear.

Guest medwant2B2

hey medwant2b,

i was just wandering whether you would mind revealing what you're grad degree is in, and what your marks were like to get the interview. I too am a grad student, but have not heard anything as yet. wishful thinking always!

thanks a lot in advance!

Guest maxell

I am a grad student, but was interviwed on March 23rd. No correlation exists between interview date and graduate degrees....

As for those who are waiting anxiously, it is generally true (as told to me by one of the interviewers) that not receiving any notice from the interview is a "good thing", as they reject most people very early on (in February) and keep the ones they find promising for later. I think they do not give early notice for an interview simply as a matter of policy - it would be difficult to invite an applicant 4 or 5 weeks earlier and deal with scheduling problems as well as for the applicant to remember his / her interview date! But this is purely speculation on my part.

Guest bananagirl

Maxell,

Thank you for your information....you've given those of us who are still waiting to hear a little bit of hope!

I was under the impression that the applications are sorted into batches and are reviewed as each interview date approaches. Thus, rejections would be spread out fairly evenly from Feb to May, instead of mostly occurring at the start of the interview process. Can anyone else verify what Maxell has written, or does anyone else have a comment regarding when most of the rejections occur?

Yours sincerely,

A nervously awaiting applicant.....

Guest JSS02

I don't know what they're doing this year, but at least in the past couple of years they did what bananagirl suggested. They sent out a whole bunch of rejections in January to people who don't meet the GPA or MCAT cutoffs. Then they randomly divided applications (for the people who made the cutoffs) into batches, and then would send out invites and rejections as they reviewed each batch. So if you hadn't heard from, it would just mean that they hadn't read your application yet. They didn't leave "stronger" or "weaker" applications until the last interview weekend - everyone was just spread out according to when they finally got to evaluate their application.

Guest cheech10

Hang in there, there are still a lot of applications left. I got an invite for April 21 today by e-mail, and they still have the May weekend to go. Best of luck to those still waiting.

Guest PDawg

Hello,

I just received my interview notice today (April 5) for an April 20 interview... I was worried before as I thought that I was a competitive applicant...

GPA= 3.92

MCAT= BS 13, PS 14, VR 15, WS S

The letter is dated March 30... but I'm from calgary... thus the delay

Guest PDawg

Yes... I received a few invitations to apply to schools in the U.S. ... they certainly value the MCAT quite a lot.... but financing is a bit of a problem in the states

Washington School of Medicine in St. Louis tuition is $43,000 US !

Actually, the tuition for Washington University in St. Louis is $35,780. I got in there, and it's beginning to look like I'm going there since I have heard nothing from UofT. I was invited to apply for a full-tuition scholarship. I met a Canadian there who got it. With MCATs like yours I'm your you would have been very competitive for it.

Guest Carla

Does U of T send its invites for interviews via email or regular mail or both? I am living in the States for the year and have been experiencing extreme delays in receiving mail - I'm starting to get concerned, I haven't heard anything from U of T yet! Thanks :)

Guest utapp

I got an email invite today for April 21...:^)...just when I was beginning to look down other paths...I haven't been home to check my mail in a while so I don't know if they sent a letter invite...I'm still estatic!!!

Guest aneliz

Congratulations. That's such great news! :) I guess that you really don't care about UofT anymore. I only wish that I could say the same. Still waiting....

Guest BrainDrain

Uche, congrats on your scholarship...especially if you are a foreigner! Are you doing an MD or MD/PhD at WashU? I have a friend going there next year for MD/PhD and he has a free ride too.

No, I'm going regular MD. Well if your friend is going MD/PhD, then he's definitely getting a free ride too. In the States, MD/PhD is free, and they pay you a stipend in addition to that. I've heard of many MD/PhDs that buy houses while they're in Med school so I guess they pay them well. Does anyone know whether they MD/PhD is free in Canada and if they pay you a stipend?

Archived