Premed 101 Forums

Writing Sample "J"

PastaInhaler

We all have been exposed to "S" and "T" essays.

But what would a "J" sample look like?

Is J only reserved for those who leave the section blank, or just write about something completely off topic?

e.g.

To obey an unjust law is to approve of it.

Describe a specific situation in which obeying an unjust law might not necessarily mean approving of it. Discuss what you think determines when disobeying a law is justified.

-----

This ain't right. I disagree, obeying an unjust law doesn't mean I approve of it. It just means the system is messed up, and if I obey it, I won't get punished for breaking it that is all.

I don't like driving the speed limit, but I do cause it's the law, not because I approve of it. My aunt Susan one time drove below the speed limit and some cop pulled her over. It says maximum 50km/h and she drove like what 40km/h, so the cop pulled her over. You see, she obeyed the law and still got punished for it. You can't win, the law ain't fair so we don't approve of it.

In conclusion, the law ain't always right, we obey it cause we have to.

-----

In the "official guide to the MCAT exam" they have one essay that recieved 1 point and it was along those lines in terms of details and example. His last line was "...even in the the good old U.S. of A" LOL .. I think you have to deliberately try to get a J, as this person did.

If you just wrote "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard", would they give you a J? I think I recall them having a score for people who didn't even address the question. It came up more back in the paper based days when you could do a drawing as your answer...

• 2 weeks later...
-_-"

I had a score of K and my writing is no where as bad as that.

Hahaha, hilarious!

That must've been a fluke!

I scored a VR=6 on my first go (after averaging 10-11s) and the re-wrote (3 weeks later) and got VR=11 (with no additional preparation).

Sometimes, flukes do happen!

If you just wrote "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard", would they give you a J? I think I recall them having a score for people who didn't even address the question. It came up more back in the paper based days when you could do a drawing as your answer...

Yup, WS=X.

Haha, can you imagine marking a bunch of these, back in pencil-and-paper days, and seeing a picture! If I was a scorer, I may have been lenient, pending the quality of the artwork!

I think it's more people who speak english as a second language... thats my guess at least

We all have been exposed to "S" and "T" essays.

But what would a "J" sample look like?

Is J only reserved for those who leave the section blank, or just write about something completely off topic?

e.g.

To obey an unjust law is to approve of it.

Describe a specific situation in which obeying an unjust law might not necessarily mean approving of it. Discuss what you think determines when disobeying a law is justified.

-----

This ain't right. I disagree, obeying an unjust law doesn't mean I approve of it. It just means the system is messed up, and if I obey it, I won't get punished for breaking it that is all.

I don't like driving the speed limit, but I do cause it's the law, not because I approve of it. My aunt Susan one time drove below the speed limit and some cop pulled her over. It says maximum 50km/h and she drove like what 40km/h, so the cop pulled her over. You see, she obeyed the law and still got punished for it. You can't win, the law ain't fair so we don't approve of it.

In conclusion, the law ain't always right, we obey it cause we have to.

-----

Archived