Premed 101 Forums

Future Med Student?

Guest Dino20

Guest Dino20

Hi!

I am hoping that someone can tell me what my chances are of getting into med school. I know a lot of you are preoccupied with waiting to hear about whether or not you have been accepted somewhere (I wish you all the best of luck!) However, if someone could offer me their opinion I would appreciate it. I am finishing a B.Sc. in Physiology from McGill this month, and I anticipate a CGPA of about 3.2 (I know-pretty bad). However, my GPA for the last year has been about 3.9. I am taking next semester off, and will start working towards an M.Sc. in January of 2003. I wrote the MCATs last summer and received a pretty good mark (13BS, 13PS, 12VR, Q). I have done a lot of volunteer work and participate in a fair ammount of extra curricular activities. Given all of this, I was wondering if I had any chance of getting into med school (anywhere) after I complete graduate studies (M.Sc.), or if my horrible undergraduate degree has ruined that.

Guest UofAGirl

Looking at your MCATs, you rock! I would apply to the states as they will look at your MCATs more favorably than Canadian schools. You are right in saying that your GPA is a real hindrance. But I think if you finish your masters and continue to do well grade-wise, your chance for an American school will be good. In terms of Canadian schools, aim for Macmasters. All other Ontario schools I know of need at least 3.6ish (more like 3.7-3.9). My 2 cents.

Guest JSS02

I think U of T only needs an undergrad GPA of 3.0 for those that apply as a graduate student. So if you do well in your M.Sc. you'd have a chance there... plus Western and Queen's only look at two years. In addition to this year (the 3.9), do you have another one that's above 3.6? If so, then you should be fine at these two schools as well.

Guest TotalD

Hi,

I was wondering how long a typical MSc takes if I just have a regular 4-year Bsc at UT.

Also, I hear a lot about there being 2 streams of Master's degrees: One where you take lots of courses and do very little research, and the other where you do a lot of research and few courses. Is this true?

Thanks

Guest Dino20

Thanks UofAGirl and JSS02 for the advice. Along with my B.Sc. I have completed a minor degree in Hispanic Languages. I recently learned that by spending an extra semester at McGIll, I can expand this into a major, and then graduate with a B.Sc. and a B.A. Do you think this would be of any benefit when applying to med school?

TotalD - it usually takes 3 semesters (1 year and a half) to complete a master's degree)

Archived