Premed 101 Forums

Application - Awards/Achievements

Hello!

So I think I might have the rest of the application finished, but I'm stuck on this question. To be honest I'm not sure what to put into this field. I've gotten a few scholarships, but it's not like I worked hard towards them as a goal, and put in tons of time and effort to recieve them, they were just sort of a byproduct of my volunteering/strive to have high grades. To be completely honest I felt a larger sense of satisfaction learning how to ride new technical things on my bike, or learning how to play new songs on my piano. I feel passionate about those things, and it would probably shine through, but at the same time, anyone can put time in to learn new bike tricks or piano songs...

How did you guys fill this section out? I really don't know what to write...

Thanks!

Oh and just an aside. Would it be better to go on about 2 activities that really meant something, or put in a third one, even though it really isn't anything special? I elected for the former, but I'd love to hear your opinions!

Oh and just an aside. Would it be better to go on about 2 activities that really meant something, or put in a third one, even though it really isn't anything special? I elected for the former, but I'd love to hear your opinions!

I had the same question last year...put 3. If you have less than three, it says to them you aren't that involved (from one of the members of the admissions committee)

I had the same question last year...put 3. If you have less than three, it says to them you aren't that involved (from one of the members of the admissions committee)

I'd actually be interested to know who said this - I've always been under the impression that passion and growth from activity far surpasses the numerical quantity of activities you're involved in.

FWIW, I put only two, but filled the lines discussing the significance of each and how they related to my growth / realization as a person.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm sweet. Well I decided to go with three activities per question now. With point form I was able to fit almost the same amount of detail in. But this section is still giving me trouble. I kinda just wrote that I enjoy learning new things, and that that's why I received these awards, but I'll be the first to admit it sounded really lame. Haha I suppose we'll see what happens.

Is anyone using this section to write about other achievements they've had in their lives besides recognizable awards. I've received academic scholarships but I want to list personal achievements in this section. I was thinking I would write about how I raised $1400 for a charity event on my own. It was my first time ever fundraising so obviously it's a big personal achievement. Also I thought I would talk about a very productive summer research projected I worked on that culminated in a couple of conference presentations and a first-author paper. I know this doesn't happen often after 4 months of research so it's also an important achievement.

What do you think? Is anyone else writing about non academic awards? Or should I be safe and describe the academic awards I've received.... although there are't too many of them. :mad:

Is anyone using this section to write about other achievements they've had in their lives besides recognizable awards. I've received academic scholarships but I want to list personal achievements in this section. I was thinking I would write about how I raised $1400 for a charity event on my own. It was my first time ever fundraising so obviously it's a big personal achievement. Also I thought I would talk about a very productive summer research projected I worked on that culminated in a couple of conference presentations and a first-author paper. I know this doesn't happen often after 4 months of research so it's also an important achievement.

What do you think? Is anyone else writing about non academic awards? Or should I be safe and describe the academic awards I've received.... although there are't too many of them. :mad:

This is how i interpret the word achievement. I'm not sure how valuable it would be saying that you were awarded with a monetary scholarship for having a 4.0, they already know your marks. So I think it's best to have something unique about each award or achievement that makes it worth describing beyond the scope of your transcripts.

That's how i see it at least, but then again I have zero credibility, inside info or past experience. So those of you who have a better idea, please tell me if I'm off in left field.

Yeah, I definitely think that you can write about personal achievements, I'm pretty sure I did. I think that's the whole reason why the section talks about awards AND achievements. Some awards are pretty easy to get and not every big achievement results in an award - e.g. finishing a marathon is an achievement, but you don't get an award for it unless you finish top.

Archived