Premed 101 Forums

Non-degree student admission

Guest Question

Guest Question

For a student applying in the 3rd year of a 4-year undergraduate program, in the case that s/he gains admission, does s/he have to provide proof that s/he has completed all the 3rd-year courses as laid out by the undergraduate program's calendar? Or is the UofT Meds Admissions not so sticky about that?

Guest JSS02

From what I remember, I'm pretty sure 3rd year students that are admitted have to show that they've either

a) completed their 3rd year requirements (I guess this means the courses you entered in your OMSAS app?)

or

B) gotten a 3 year degree

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Annon

Snapshot of a successful non degree holder applicant ( after three years):

1. completed all required courses as outlined in their admission guidelines.

2. GPA: 3.97; MCAT: 10,10,11, P

3. Clinical experience: continuous hospital volunteer since grade 9. Started with delivering flowers. Last experience was in ER.

4. Volunteer for a special need child for one year.

5. Certified Emergency Medical Tech. (First practical experience was attending a suicide victim!)

6. Undergraduate research experience for two years.

7. Lots of extracurricular activities in undergraduate.

This is a true story. Applied to five schools. Got two interviews. Wait list in one (not first priority). UoT (first priority) offered admin in first cut.

Guest curious

Did you not get interviews for at least three schools? With those stats you would surely make Queens, Western and UofT's cut if not Ottawa's as well. This sounds fishy......mmmmm

Believe it or not, a 10 verbal + P writing wouldn't have made Western's cutoffs last year (but they would this year). And Ottawa does base 50% of their decision on your sketch, which is obviously subjective.

Interview was first scheduled in March but rescheduled during the first week of May (last batch) at the applicant's request.

The applicant was not from Ontario.

Med school which wait listed the applicant was rated below average by a Canadian news magazine.

Applied to Queens as well. Did not get interview. Did not apply to any other Ontario schools.

No award at undergrad, but lots of extracurricular activities.

Suspect strong recommendation letters. one from a professor ( a very tough prof, who knows the applicant quite well), one from a hospital administrator, one from an outsider. Being from a small school and small community help a lot.

Suspect: strong clinical experience has lot to do with the admission.

Strategy: If an applicant want to get in after three years, target a school at the beginning of the undergrad, fulfill their criteria and then apply. Along the way if you fulfill other schools criteria, so much better. It also helps a lot if you know in high school that you are going to be a doctor (!)and you can prepare yourself accordingly.

Guest YongQ

Hum,

Just to answer the initial question, 3rd years have to show proof they've completed 3rd year. In my case I had a letter signed by some clerk who worked at the Registrar's office. No biggie.

Archived