Premed 101 Forums

Anyone do volunteering in clinical research?

bsm

Hey guys I need to do some volunteering in a role where I have patient contact. I am interested in medical research, so I thought an ideal placement would be volunteering in some sort of clinical trial (b/c that would have patient contact + research)

Anyone do something similar to this?

Any thoughts on how I can do this?

Wise remarks deserve wise responses. Well played, poster. But seriously, why do you feel you "need" to do this?

I only ask because you'll be hard pressed to find any sort of meaningful volunteering in a clinical setting if you're just in undergrad (which I assume you are) and you don't have some sort of connections. Your best bet is to have connections, your next best bet is to look for postings where researchers are asking for volunteers. I wouldn't hold your breath, though.

There's plenty of other places to volunteer where you'll get a lot more out of it. Contrary to popular belief, you don't "need" clinical volunteering to get into medical school.

yeah....I know clinical volunteering is not "required", thats why I dont want to do the standard "meet-and-greet" stuff in the hospitals (which seems pretty easy to arrange). But still I think if I can find the right position it is worth it, since I am interested medical research and it would help my application.

As for contacts, I think I can find people to shadow (I am actually a grad student) but not a consistant volunteer position.

UHN has a lot of student volunteers, so I want to know if anyone has gotten this type of role through their volunteering department

Archived