Premed 101 Forums

A long and winding road.

A long and winding road.

Hi everyone. I thought I would introduce myself (first post).

I am definitely a non traditional student. I am 38 years old, married with 4 children, and I work fulltime. I work as a divisional director for one of the big banks in Toronto and I manage insurance sales in over 20 countries. I am also studying part-time for my CMA accountant’s license. Now I know you are likely to ask if maybe I’m lost? Perhaps on the wrong forum? Why would I be studying to be an accountant when I am on a medical forum? Good question! I will start at the beginning and within a few paragraphs it should be clear why I’m at this juncture in my life.

Born and raised in South Africa, I was a terrible high school student with little direction in what I wanted to do after high school. Based on my “zero study” approach I actually should have flunked out but with some luck I managed to pass. See, there is a God! LOL. Naturally, the thought of going to University was a million miles out of mind. I was one of those kids who truly believed that I couldn’t do math, science or accounting. And we were poor – no money for ‘varsity.

Fast forward a few years with me in low paying dead end jobs… and the thought of getting a better education finally crossed my mind. So I enrolled for a BA degree through the University of South Africa (part-time) and continued working in my dead end job (fulltime). Got married and had kids.

Six years later, and after several incomplete courses and failed courses, I had my BA Degree (that was year 2000). While my cumulative GPA was in the toilet, my final year was “ok” and I enrolled into the Honours Degree year. Changed my mind midway through the year and enrolled for an MBA instead at a non-accredited university. My marks weren’t as bad as the BA Degree, but still wasn’t great either (under 3.0). That being said, after 3 years, I had the MBA. Got some promotions at work.

Fast forward another few years and after getting hooked on motivational books and seminars, I actually developed a positive mental attitude. My career flourished after moving to Canada and I eventually ended up in a senior management position at one of the big banks. To get further ahead, after deciding that CEO of a large bank is indeed possible, I figured a CMA designation would help my cause. Plus considering the fact that I failed accounting in high school, I figured it would be a good challenge. 2 years into my studies at University of Toronto I have a GPA just under 3.8. Wow. So at this rate, in another 3 years, I would be a qualified CMA. To crown it all, based on things happening at work, I am close to getting Vice President. The CMA should be the final key to that lock. To the outsider (and to my disbelieving old friends back from high school) life looks good.

Then I read a quote that said, “Failure is difficult, but success is more dangerous. Because, if you are successful at the wrong thing, then the combination of money, power and recognition can lock you away forever." Whoa!

It hit me like a ton of bricks on the head. I was being successful in the financial service field but I wasn’t happy. I was being successful at the wrong thing. The allure of the money, power and recognition is so strong. Yet I am not happy every morning as I put on my suit and head to the office.

Here’s my closing: I am asking myself questions that I should have asked myself 20 years ago. Questions like, “how can you make this world a better place?” I’m also asking myself today what I really want to do with the rest of my life. Deep down, at my core, I actually always wanted to be a doctor, but because I believed that it was impossible, I put it out of my mind. I buried it deep and forgot about it.

So now… now that I am asking the difficult questions, I have reminded myself of the words of Mark Twain, “in 20 years from now, you will regret more the things you never did, than those you did.” I know that if I don’t change direction and at least TRY, then one day after I retire from the bank, I will know that I actually failed. Looking successful isn’t the same as feeling successful.

So that’s my ramble… I will need to make some serious changes in direction in my studies. My CMA studies have proved to me at least that I can get high marks. The next step is to redo a degree (but in health and science studies) and take it from there.

And yes, based on my age and my current ‘bright’ career at the bank, my wife thinks I am crazy.

2 years into my studies at University of Toronto I have a GPA just under 3.8.

So that’s my ramble… I will need to make some serious changes in direction in my studies. My CMA studies have proved to me at least that I can get high marks. The next step is to redo a degree (but in health and science studies) and take it from there.

I don't know if you know this already but you can apply to any med school with any degree. It does NOT have to be in health or science. Some schools (ie not all schools) require you to take a certain number of pre-req courses which you could do in like 1 year or even spread over the summer since you have about 2 years left at UofT. In other words, you do NOT need to start another degree. But should you choose to after completing this current degree, you can most likely transfer credits to reduce the time on the 2nd degree to a mere 2 years.

Personally, I do think you're a little crazy lol... If you have a stable career that pays well then there are other ways you could contribute to society if that is one of your goals. But if it's something that you really want to do then.. shoot. I say go for it, holmes! Haha, just as long as your 4 kids and wife aren't depending on your salary. =p

I really enjoyed your quotes and outlook on life. It's just the motivation that I've been seeking lately. So thank you. =)

I can understand where you are coming from. I made the decision to return to school after a similar experience at the age of 35. I am in good job but same boat, not feeling satisfied and always wanted to be Dr. but didn't believe in myself enough. I think go for it, otherwise you will always wonder and have regrets. BTW 41 and on my fifth attempt to get into school, so I too am taking a long and windy road. Best wishes.

Interesting. All in one weekend, we have had either being "too young" or "too old". Perhaps there is never a good time for med school or it is always the right time for med school, hehe!

While going to med school is awesome, consider the idea that you can make the world a better place right away, from where you are right now. That being said, if it's something you have always wanted to do; then, follow your dreams.

Do let us know how it all goes.

Best wishes!

I don't know if you know this already but you can apply to any med school with any degree. It does NOT have to be in health or science. Some schools (ie not all schools) require you to take a certain number of pre-req courses which you could do in like 1 year or even spread over the summer since you have about 2 years left at UofT. In other words, you do NOT need to start another degree. Yup, I am aware of that but because I don't have a science / bio background I want to be sure for myself that I can cut it. Don't want to give up my current career and run into a dose of reality. So I plan to cut my teeth while in my current job. Plus, I am making a safe assumption that while many medical schools say they have no prescribed required degree for entrance, they do look for a science/bio track. But should you choose to after completing this current degree, you can most likely transfer credits to reduce the time on the 2nd degree to a mere 2 years.

Personally, I do think you're a little crazy lol... So do I... If you have a stable career that pays well then there are other ways you could contribute to society if that is one of your goals. 100% correct. Every person contributes in some way or another. Take the Toronto grabage strike. Jokes aside, I think many people realised how important a job like a garbage collector is to a society as a whole. But on personal level, you need to feel fulfilled. You must do something that you *love* doing and then you wont have to work a day in your life. But if it's something that you really want to do then.. shoot. I say go for it, holmes! Haha, just as long as your 4 kids and wife aren't depending on your salary. =p

I am the sole "bread winner" in the house. My wife is a stay-at-home-mom (and doing an awesome job). The plan is to shovel away enough money over the next +/- 5 years to be able to afford giving up a regular income for a few years. According to my dollar store calculator it is possible. LOL

I really enjoyed your quotes and outlook on life. It's just the motivation that I've been seeking lately. So thank you. =)

Thanks. Please see comments above.

Interesting. All in one weekend, we have had either being "too young" or "too old". Perhaps there is never a good time for med school or it is always the right time for med school, hehe!

While going to med school is awesome, consider the idea that you can make the world a better place right away, from where you are right now. That being said, if it's something you have always wanted to do; then, follow your dreams.

Do let us know how it all goes.

Best wishes!

Just wanted to say 2 things about age and timing.

(1) I know it is a cliche, but you are only as old as you feel. You are neither too old or too young, unless you think that you are.

(2) For many people, the timing never feels right. And if you wait for the right time, you will wait forever as life passes you by. Then you sit with regret. So I'd say rather try and perhaps fail, instead of never trying at all. The right time for most things is now. That rule applies to anything from starting a diet, stopping smoking, making that apology, saying "I love you," or going back to school.

My crucial decision to make right now is whether to first finish my CMA designation and then do the medical pre-reqs or flip the gears and start immediately... My pet peeve is to leave something undone. Lucky that at age 38 I have time on my side. :D

And yes, based on my age and my current ‘bright’ career at the bank, my wife thinks I am crazy.

Don`t think you are crazy...and don`t like to discourage people from doing things they think is really right for them.

However, I do suggest that you somehow find a way to get some real exposure to what it is like to work as a physician...and probably also what it is like to be a med student and resident because those combined can be 10 years of your life - so nothing to sneeze at.

Many people in my class felt alot different about medicine at the end of med school than they did at the beginning of med school. And you'll never know how you feel until you actually do it. But at least try and make the most informed decision as possible and decide if all those sacrifices are worth it - considering it sounds like you are pretty set as it is now.

Hi Coach

I'm smiling to myself as I read your post.

My life is so similar, from South Africa to the crummy GPA at high school to the MBA - just missing the CMA path.

I turn 38 in a week or so too.

After many years in management, I'm finishing off an RMT course so I can work part time without having to take work home with me! I've always had the flexibility at work but with laptop computers and blackberries, the work never actually ends as I'm sure you well know! I like the idea of working in a health related field in the interim too and plan to work in a chiropractic/physio setting.

Beginning prereqs in January. I don't have a Science background and will need to take 2 full years in order to be competitive. I met with the local university when I arrived in Canada and was told I certainly had a shot and that the oldest student was graduating at 50+ years old. Age is just a number :)

Best of luck to you!

Take care

Tracy

Oh, and that quote on the back of the Starbucks coffee cup resonated with me too!

:D

Hi Tracy,

Yes, that's where I read it too. I was sitting in (another) meeting at work and one of the managers sitting across the table from me was drinking a cup of coffee from Starbucks. After reading that quote on his coffee cup, my mind switched gears, and... well, here I am. :P

Take care and keep posting here from time to time. Will be interesting to see if our paths continue to mirror one another.

As some people have mentioned, it is important to remember that there are lots of ways to help others without the massive commitment to medicine. When looking at taking some science pre-reqs, or otherwise preparing yourself for your med school application, be sure to consider the ways you could get involved in public/community health based on your experience in the finance world - not only will this make your application that much more competitive, but it will expose you to the field of health care and the range of ways you can change career directions without completely abandoning the hard work you've done so far.

best of luck - and if it helps, I will share an opinion that I have recently formed: the people who tell you that you are too old to do something are usually too young themselves (and not just in age). it takes wisdom, courage, and experience to be able recognize that life doesn't have to be broken down into neat little phases.

Archived