Premed 101 Forums

Not enough Research?

Cndngirl118

Honestly, who's to say (unless you're on the adcom). All we can do is fill in the app with our life experiences. Most people say that UofT likes research, but that's just one school, and I've never see this written on an official document. There are quite a few current med students on these boards who will tell you that they didn't have research experience. Overall, I don't think it's the be-all and end-all of the application. Don't worry too much about it.

Hi guys,

I only have 1 entry under the research section for the sketch. I have a few other research positions I was involved in...but they were as jobs, and I put them in employment. Do you think it looks bad that my research section only has 1 thing in it?

Thanks guys!

What's keeping you from listing the specific research (projects) of your job under research and the general job under employment? Is this against rules? Cause it's what i was planning to do. If you have room I thought why not. Otherwise, I'm in the same spot as you. I figured I'd let them ignore it if they wanted to.

Here's something from UofT's website:

There is no single profile of the “ideal medical student” used by the Admissions Committee. The Committee is looking for activities documenting interest, commitment, responsibility, and contribution to community. Applicants are asked to group their activities into categories for ease of evaluation. It is not required that applicants list activities in each category. For example, while there is a category for research, it is understood that some applicants may have no interest in a research career, and this would not be detrimental to their application.

Considering how medschools are not generally shy about requirements, I don't see why this wouldn't be the truth.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to keep my reserach jobs under employment and just leave that one thing under research. My other sections have enough items in them....so I'm hoping that works out!

But do you know if we can list a directed study project under research? I did research for a directed study class where I receieved a grade and credits, but can I still put that down in the research section?

Thanks!

Yes, you can. If it was a project course (only research, no other grading) then it belongs in research.

If it was a course that had tests/exams and a research component (i.e. a research methodology lab course), then you cannot include it.[/QUOTE]

what if you do? what's the downside? I understand this could be "double-counting" but if its important and you have room, is there a downside to putting it in research?

thanks HBP

Yes, you can. If it was a project course (only research, no other grading) then it belongs in research.

If it was a course that had tests/exams and a research component (i.e. a research methodology lab course), then you cannot include it.[/QUOTE]

what if you do? what's the downside? I understand this could be "double-counting" but if its important and you have room, is there a downside to putting it in research?

thanks HBP

Well, a course, such as a lab course with write-ups and what not is excluded from R by OMSAS:

Please note that projects done as part of a university course do not qualify as research.

- so, even though I had to research a novel gene as part of my laboratory course, it does not qualify

The only course based things that should be R are from this:

Do not list research positions (as Employment) which are part of your graduate training or honours program. These should be listed under the Research section. NSERC summer studentship should be listed under the Awards section.

- my project courses count (a project course is done under a PI)

I was wondering where I should include some lab volunteering that I did. I was just doing some preliminary investigation for a potential research project that might take place sometime in the future. The commitment was probably around four hours weekly and there are was no publication.

I apologize if I hijacked this thread, just didn't want to start a new one with a very similar question.

Well, a course, such as a lab course with write-ups and what not is excluded from R by OMSAS:

- so, even though I had to research a novel gene as part of my laboratory course, it does not qualify

The only course based things that should be R are from this:

- my project courses count (a project course is done under a PI)

Great info. Thanks very much.

Archived