Premed 101 Forums

Can I take the liberty...

AG22

Yes, I constructed a cumbersome statement so that the components would be unambiguous.

I was comparing the use of ";" to Cnussey's use of "--," both of which are valid constructions for combining independent clauses but connote a different emphasis.

Of course a "," followed by a conjunction could be used too.

I too was tortured by grammar class, but they weren't nuns.

I married one :) Well, he's not a nun--but he's a member of the grammar and articulation police.

Ahahaha, reminds me of my awesome Grade 12 English teacher...somehow, one day we started talking about washroom breaks and we asked him how come he never required us to ask permission to go (when other teachers did). He said, "I used to require permission...and would deny it sometimes, if we were in the middle of something important, because you are all adults and should know better than not to go before the class. Then one time this kid asked if he could go, and I said, "NO, you may NOT go!!!! This is a 50-minute class and there is no reason why you couldn't have gone before the class started!" He looked at me with incredible sadness in his eyes and proceeded to projectile-vomit on my white shirt. So PLEASE, if you need to go to the washroom, DO SO!"

I dare the teachers to tell my child she cannot use the washroom when she needs to--I just dare them. They haven't seen crazy-mom yet.

At a local school, very young elementary students are not permitted to use the washroom during class-time and will receive a "written warning" if they ask for it. Thankfully, this is not the school my daughter will be attending next month. I would have to kill somebody if she came home with a bladder infection or wet pants.

But I digress...

Archived