Premed 101 Forums

Can I take the liberty...

AG22

Hey guys and gals...can I take the liberty to create a new thread on grammar? haha.

It's really irritating to see people confusing:

your and you're; their and there and they're

Your = I am your friend. Your car is blue.

You're = You are. You're so nice. You're competitive for such and such a program.

There = The black car is over there.

Their = This is their book. My friends are looking for their coats.

They're = they are. They're coming at 6!

Okay, sorry for being so anal :P I was just getting really really irritated. haha. And I'm totally not doing this because I feel superior or anything like that. So don't blast me for doing this! That was not my intention.

It never ceases to amaze me when people will post and complain about grammar, spelling and punctuation, but only to make several errors as they type the complaint... I am assuming you are aware of the fact that you made a few mistakes in your post?

Two facts to take into account:

1. English is a complicated language and the margin for error is enormous. Don't be so hard on a person for making a mistake.
  2. Most of the posters are (a) in a hurry as they type, and (B) aren't planning a career as an English professor.

Besides, doctors aren't expected to spell properly seeing as though no human can read their handwriting [insert wink to imply a joke].

It never ceases to amaze me when people will post and complain about grammar, spelling and punctuation, but only to make several errors as they type the complaint... I am assuming you are aware of the fact that you made a few mistakes in your post?

Two facts to take into account:

1. English is a complicated language and the margin for error is enormous. Don't be so hard on a person for making a mistake.
  2. Most of the posters are (a) in a hurry as they type, and (B) aren't planning a career as an English professor.

Besides, doctors aren't expected to spell properly seeing as though no human can read their handwriting [insert wink to imply a joke].

Haha, point taken. And actually, no. I was not aware I had made an error or errors. I'd appreciate it if you could point them out.

Gracias.

I have recently discovered that I confuse passed with past, but only in one specific context. I use to say "I haven't gotten passed the first paragraph" instead of "I haven't gotten past the first paragraph"

Yeah, I've noticed that some people do that too. Good on you for noticing that!!

Another common one is "could of" instead of the correct way, "could have".

EDIT: the contraction for "could have" being "could've"

Alright, what the heck, I will point out the "errors." But before I proceed I do want to be clear that I do not usually engage in being overly critical (I'm no English expert).

My comments are in red.

Hey guys and gals...can I take the liberty to create a new thread on grammar? hCapital letter H required aha. I'm still debating if Haha is a sentence.

It's really irritating to see people confusing:

your and you're; their and there and they're You needed to use " before the word and ," after each word you were attempting to isolate in each sentence. You are assuming the reader to know which word(s) you are referring to.

Your = I am your friend. Your car is blue.

You're = You are. You're so nice. You're competitive for such and such a program.

There = The black car is over there.

Their = This is their book. My friends are looking for their coats.

They're = they are. They're coming at 6!

Okay, sorry for being so anal :P I was just getting really really irritated technically speaking, you haven't completed your sentence: you needed to clarify the source of your irritation. h Capital letter!aha. And I'm totally not totally not? You only needed to use "not," for good grammar doing this because I feel superior or anything like that. So don't blast me for doing this! That was not my intention.

Alright, what the heck, I will point out the "errors." But before I proceed I do want to be clear that I do not usually engage in being overly critical (I'm no English expert).

My comments are in red.

LOL. That's pretty sweet coach. Thanks.

And yes, Jochi, I agree!

You could also use a semi-colon to connect to related independent clauses as well. The choice of which will really depend on the context and emphasis, I believe.

Ex:

"I have two dogs, a dachshund and a Tibetan terrier; they are both rescue dogs."

Yes--exactly. But I find that the "...s" are often used in place of a strong emphasis (em dash).

You can also use connective words!

"Jon is coming to the store with Jane and I."

"Grandma gave candy to Jane and I."

"It was for Jane and I that dad built the swing."

AAAAHHHHHHH! This drives me crazy!!!! Crazy I tell you!

What bothers me is the incorrect use of "myself", as in "Please contact myself if you have any further questions."

I seem to be seeing this more often, and at some point I'm going to blow an aneurysm because of it.

Can i take the liberty of pointing out what an annoying thread this is? (well its too late to say "no" now)

I think it was made obvious that we all irritate each other in various ways when the OP looked foolish trying correct others and in return looked just as incompetent as the people he/she was bashing. I could care less if I irritate people, deal with it. I gotto bloody deal with aholes all the time and i dont start posts about it--but of course i will reply to them

What bothers me is the incorrect use of "myself", as in "Please contact myself if you have any further questions."

I seem to be seeing this more often, and at some point I'm going to blow an aneurysm because of it.

In dicatations PB???

Again, this is spelling, not grammar, but I'll say it anyway:

It's DEFINITELY ....not DEFINATELY

Thanks.

You could also use a semi-colon to connect to related independent clauses as well. The choice of which will really depend on the context and emphasis, I believe.

Ex:

"I have two dogs, a dachshund and a Tibetan terrier; they are both rescue dogs."

or, you may make it shorter and avoid two independent clauses, e.g.,

"I have two rescue dogs, a dachshund and Tibetan terrier."

"I have a dachshund and Tebierian terrier, both rescue dogs."

I almost forgot one last point.

OP, I believe that your thread post should read: "May I take the liberty?"

Clearly you "can," so there's not much point in asking is their?/ they're? ;)

Hey, good catch! I realised that as soon as I had posted the thread, and then I realised that I couldn't change the title ;)

What I find really funny is that everyone seems to be blasting me for using "..." or not capitalising my haha's which follow a period. Sure I use the short forms and follow the colloquial trends, but I don't use informal writing where it counts. And I don't make errors with:

could've, should've; then vs than; you, you're; there, their, they're. Errors in these completely changes the meaning and sometimes (often) makes no bloody sense!

I can appreciate that the margin of error in the English language is astronomical! I am an immigrant myself, and I know that I've faced challenges in learning this language. Yet I find that I try to learn from and correct my mistakes as soon as possible.

This may be a stupid thread to some, but for others it is a chance to better ourselves. After all, no one is perfect. I never said I was! :P And besides, I've learned some really useful things on here ;)

or, you may make it shorter and avoid two independent clauses, e.g.,

"I have two rescue dogs, a dachshund and Tibetan terrier."

"I have a dachshund and Tebierian terrier, both rescue dogs."

I have two rescue dogs: a daschund and Tibetan terrier (a list)

I have a daschund and a Tibetan terrier, both rescue dogs (can use , instead of "and")

I have a daschund and a Tibetan terrier; both are rescue dogs. (sticking 2 sentences together)

That's right - I'm old enough to have been tortured by grammar nuns!

"Jon is coming to the store with Jane and I."

"Grandma gave candy to Jane and I."

"It was for Jane and I that dad built the swing."

AAAAHHHHHHH! This drives me crazy!!!! Crazy I tell you!

Best tip ever: just take out Jane and then make the sentence sound right.

Jon is coming to the store with I

or

Jon is coming to the store with me

Obviously the latter. So the sentence becomes: Jon is coming to the store with me and Jane.

So you get:

Jane and I are going to the movies.

Dad took me and Jane to the movies.

Works most of the time.

Tortured by grammar nuns!

I almost forgot one last point.

OP, I believe that your thread post should read: "May I take the liberty?"

Clearly you "can," so there's not much point in asking is their?/ they're? ;)

That's the first thing I noticed too!

My grade 5 teacher use to hound us on the differences between "can" and "may" when we asked to go to the washroom.

Kid about to pee his pants:

"Mr. Reed, can I please go to the washroom?"

Mr. Reed:

"Yes, you can."

Kid about to pee his pants gets up to leave...

Mr. Reed:

"Sit yo ass down! You can go to the washroom because you have the ability but you may not go right now because we're doing presentations."

Kid pees his pants.

That's the first thing I noticed too!

My grade 5 teacher use to hound us on the differences between "can" and "may" when we asked to go to the washroom.

Kid about to pee his pants:

"Mr. Reed, can I please go to the washroom?"

Mr. Reed:

"Yes, you can."

Kid about to pee his pants gets up to leave...

Mr. Reed:

"Sit yo ass down! You can go to the washroom because you have the ability but you may not go right now because we're doing presentations."

Kid pees his pants.

Ahahaha, reminds me of my awesome Grade 12 English teacher...somehow, one day we started talking about washroom breaks and we asked him how come he never required us to ask permission to go (when other teachers did). He said, "I used to require permission...and would deny it sometimes, if we were in the middle of something important, because you are all adults and should know better than not to go before the class. Then one time this kid asked if he could go, and I said, "NO, you may NOT go!!!! This is a 50-minute class and there is no reason why you couldn't have gone before the class started!" He looked at me with incredible sadness in his eyes and proceeded to projectile-vomit on my white shirt. So PLEASE, if you need to go to the washroom, DO SO!"

Archived