Premed 101 Forums

HELP A HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT

Guest DxRShawndx

Guest DxRShawndx

Hi, I need some help.

This is the problem(s)...

Next year will be my last year in Highschool and I will be graduating in the double cohort system meaning I will be graduating with the OAC students too. (I am in Grade 11 right now.) Guidance has informed us that we can take 5 years instead of 4 years, meaning I will have one more year to concentrate on my Last year.

Option 1. I can graduate in grade 12 but keep in mind I am in non-semestered school, thus I will have 7 Subjects through out the whole year.

Option 2. I can graduate in 5 years, and there will be no penelty. Thus I can split my subjects up and maybe take Co-op. I am really confused. Also I have learned that UofT Scarborough requires Descrete Math, which is the hardest math we have. UofTSt.George does not require Descrete math.

Problem numero 2...

I was told that to get into Med school I do not need Physics, so in my highschool career I did not take physics. Now some people tell me that to get into Med school I would need first year physics.

I find this very dissapointing.

ANY Advise will be greatly appreciated.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Instead of worrying about what "they" say, my advice would be to log onto the websites of the med schools you are interested in and find out the prereqs for yourself. In general, most med schools do not require first year physics. Some schools (ie: Western) want you to have a full credit in a science other than Bio and Chem- most students use 1st year physics, myself included, as this prerequisite. In general, you can get away without having 1st year physics, but be sure you understand the prereqs for the schools you see yourself one day applying to so you can plot your academic course accordingly.

It's been my experience that a lot of people like to give out a lot of bogus med school information, beit knowingly or not. The best defence is to keep yourself informed. A few minutes perusing the med school website of your choice can save hours of pointless agonizing.

Best of luck in the future!

Tim

Guest DxRShawndx

Well, its kinda too late to take physics in highschool right now. Thats the major problem. Fine, if i do take First year physics I am scared I might not do so well, since I didnt take physics in highschool. What am I to do?

Guest KatieKat

Don't worry about not having high school physics. At UBC (and I'm assuming UT too) there are different first year classes for students at different levels in physics. You might have to take one more semester of physics than a student who took it in high school, but you shouldn't be behind in any of the classes.

Guest ThugJaan

Hey,

Just to offer something, I know of plenty of people who never took universtiy level physics and did just fine on the MCAT physical sciences portion. Myself, I never even took highschool physics, so there is hope to teach yourself the material if you don't want to take it in university.

Guest AniyaSG

Don't forget, requirements change with time as well... best to cover yourself then end up short. I took 1st year physics and a separate physics lab, because they were required at the time for some Ontario schools. Now they aren't but it allowed me to apply to some OOP schools that do require it. Take what schools say you need, but don't forget to take what you think would be best to prepare yourself. No coursework is ever a 'waste'.

Good luck, I would hate to be in that double cohort class...

PS: don't worry about physics if you do ok in math... it's mainly solving equations once you understand the theory...

I would hate to be in the double cohort. It has the potential to be pretty rough to get into very 'desirable' university programs (lots of competition). That said, I would take an extra year at high school if it is offered with no penalty. This will give you a chance to take a few more courses (such as physics or a co-op) as well as to split up some of your harder courses. Not only will this give you more time to think about your future, it will also give the double cohort a year to get out of the way and will potentially allow you to increase your high school average by splitting up some hard courses. One other word of advice: only believe university admissions/program requirements that you hear right from the horse's mouth (the university itself). While high school guidance counsellors try exceptionally hard to keep informed, programs are constantly changing and there are SO many different schools/programs that they can hardly be expected to know the exact details of each. If you want to be sure that you have correct and current information, check with the university not with guidance!

Good luck!

Guest eye hope its my turn

Hello there HS student,

Everyone has given you great advice. There is no "right" path for med. Each person will have taken their own route to get there. Whether it be 4 years of undergrad, 5, 6, after PhD, after 6 children, or even at 60 years old. And so should you buddy. If you like discrete math, you'll enjoy it, and you'll end up doing well. If you dislike it, then you'll be regretting the choice you made, time will pass slower, more painfully and your marks may suffer. Your guidance counsellor won't be taking the courses he suggests. Make informed decisions and study what you have interest in. You've got a long road ahead of you. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Archived