Premed 101 Forums

GPA

Guest depressed

Guest depressed

Hello all,

With final marks coming back, I'm feeling a bit depressed because my GPA works out to be 3.82. Can someone give me input on whether this is competitive for a 3rd year applicant? I've heard it is NOT...hence the depression....

Guest Ian Wong

Even if it isn't (and I truly don't know if it is), you can always apply again as a fourth year applicant. A GPA of 3.82 isn't easy to attain. Chin up! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Bob Tricks

Ian is right.

3.82 is a very good GPA.

I know a person with that kind of GPA (a bit lower) who received an interview at U of T, actually.

Like Ian said, 'Chin Up'.

First off, 3.82 is fine for U of T. It doesn't guarantee anything (no GPA does, not even a 4.0), but if the rest of your application is good you certainly have a chance of making it in. Also, keep in mind that your marks from the year you apply aren't counted (as long as you pass); so if you have already applied this year, and these new marks (from the first term, I presume) have pulled your GPA down to 3.82, then the GPA that U of T will use to evaluate you will actually be a bit higher.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bad hombre

when you say "in the middle of the pack of applicants" do you really mean the median of the applicant pool or the median of the people who are accepted?

Guest cheech10

Well, 3.85ish was the average of the entering class for the past few years, so you'd be closer to the median of the people accepted than that of the applicant pool.

____Conjecture Warning!_____

But I think this also includes graduate students whose evaluations are not based on marks as heavily, so undergrads *might* need slightly higher grades for a *very* competitive application and even more so for 3rd years than 4th years I assume.

At any rate, 3.82 is an excellent GPA and with a strong non-academic portion to your application you should be alright. Good luck!

Cheech

Hey Bad Hombre,

The advice I would give anybody is that if you're a 3.8+, just apply and throw all your worries about GPA away - you can't change the past so why agonize over it?

Archived