Premed 101 Forums

2nd entry BScN/Compressed Program for Medschool?????

Hi! I'm from the Philippines and I'm planning to pursue my nursing course in Canada. I looked up several sites from different schools and I'm planning to enter the 2nd entry Nursing program or any Compressed Program because I feel like it's better for me that way, than to start all over again. My grades from my 1st and 2nd year are not so high so I'm leaning over York University and Trent University Nursing programs.

I like Nursing but I'm also looking for the possibility of entering Medicine after I graduate. I know it's very difficult, but, I'm thinking about it once I finish nursing. My problem though, I don't know if the Medical Schools in Ontario will accept me as having finished a 2 year or a 3 year Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree??

Anybody can shed light and also advice me on what nursing school I should take into consideration also???

Thanks.

McMaster will definitely accept applications from any student who has completed a degree (doesn't matter if it was 4 years or compressed). Once you have your BScN, you're eligible to apply. Also, I believe that NOSM will also accept applications after you're completed your degree, however, they tend to take students living in rural areas.

Good luck with you application!

I do have a nursing background. I actually never wrote the MCAT (it wasn't a requirement at McMaster when I applied). But I don't think that nursing is the best undergrad for the MCAT. A bachelor of science degree will likely allow you to take courses that prepare you better for the MCAT.

The thing about nursing is that you don't really have a ton of flexibility on the courses that you can take (because there are certain courses that you need to take as well as doing clinical time), so it would be tough to complete science pre-req courses taking a nursing degree (not impossible, just difficult). Something to keep in mind.

Archived