Premed 101 Forums

Advice concerning application to medical school

Hello,

I hope to get helpful feedback concerning my interest in applying to medical school. Your honest opinion is most appreciated.

I am a 33 year old Canadian citizen living in New Orleans, Louisiana, where I am pursuing graduate studies. Here is a summary of my academic history:

-BA, McGill University (Major: Mathematics; Minor: Social Studies of Medicine) (CGPA 2.3/4.0)

-BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts), University of Ottawa (CGPA 7.7/10)

-MFA (Master of Fine Arts), University of New Orleans (CGPA 3.9/4.0)

(Note: Calculation reveals that I have an overall undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0.)

I began my post-secondary education with the hope of eventually qualifying for admission to medical school. However during my early undergraduate years, I had difficulty reconciling myself with my homosexuality, and as a result of not finding adequate support, I performed very poorly at school. To continue in university I had to choose a different path. I moved from the scientific field of math to the visual arts.

I enjoy work in my area of art, although there is still a strong desire to become a doctor. What routes are available to me now?

Is my best hope the completion of another undergraduate degree? (Since most medical school admissions committees do not consider graduate-level work.)

Should I direct my efforts at excelling on the MCAT? Do some medical schools in Canada give MCAT results more weight than, say, the overall undergraduate GPA?

Again, I thank you for your advice.

Here is the advice I would give you:

1. Make sure you have completed all the pre-reqs for med schools in Canada

2. Get an MCAT score of at least 30, with at least a 10 in each section(to be safe for almost all schools) and a WS of at least P(higher for some Ontario schools)

3. Apply to med schools that consider graduate work, and ones that look at most recent 2 yrs GPA.

Also, some med schools will exclude early coursework(for instance, at UBC courses 10 yrs or older are not considered in GPA calculations) so this is something you should investigate depending on how long ago you took your fist bachelors. You'll probably have to email the schools you are interested in to get this info.

I think I covered the basics of what you need to do, and I'm sure others can fill anything in that I have missed.

Best of luck,

uvicstudent

Something I forgot to add... if you did manage to really nail the MCAT(~35+) then you might consider applying in America. If you are living there already you probably already know that American schools weight the MCAT much more heavily than Canadian ones. You don't have American citizenship do you? because that would also help you out there.

uvicstudent,

Thank you very much for your help. The UBC policy of excluding coursework 10 or more years in the past makes me especially hopeful.

For your information, I do not have American citizenship.

Any additional information or suggestions are appreciated.

the big question is whether or not you have the pre-reqs. You can apply to some schools with no science courses (only McMaster and Northern come to my mind but I'm less familiar with schools outside of Ontario. Possibly Memorial as well). However, you need a 3.0 cutoff for them.

if you haven't done the pre-reqs, I think that's your answer - one year full time pre-reqs to boost your gpa and give you a better edge. it will also help you out with the MCAT. if you're free next year, that's what i would do - study for a year, and write the MCAT that summer. then, apply that fall (we're now at fall 2011 for entry in 2012). that gives you the rest of this year to build up some health-relevant ECs.

Alternatively, look at school with no prereqs and no MCATS or just the verbal section (so... McMaster, I think - and Northern if you're from there) and apply next fall (2010). I don't know the prereq situation at UBC, but if your grades are dropped, you can apply there. Perhaps a VERY well written letter as to why your grades are that low, and how you can use that experience in medicine, will sell you.

very best of luck - especially since your story seems close to my own! you're on the right track now - gather the info you need and plan it well!

uvicstudent,

Thank you very much for your help. The UBC policy of excluding coursework 10 or more years in the past makes me especially hopeful.

For your information, I do not have American citizenship.

Any additional information or suggestions are appreciated.

Have you looked into applying to US med schools as a Canadian? Do consider checking out the American med schools sub-forum on here. It could be helpful.

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck with everything!

:)

the big question is whether or not you have the pre-reqs. You can apply to some schools with no science courses (only McMaster and Northern come to my mind but I'm less familiar with schools outside of Ontario. Possibly Memorial as well). However, you need a 3.0 cutoff for them.

if you haven't done the pre-reqs, I think that's your answer - one year full time pre-reqs to boost your gpa and give you a better edge. it will also help you out with the MCAT. if you're free next year, that's what i would do - study for a year, and write the MCAT that summer. then, apply that fall (we're now at fall 2011 for entry in 2012). that gives you the rest of this year to build up some health-relevant ECs.

Alternatively, look at school with no prereqs and no MCATS or just the verbal section (so... McMaster, I think - and Northern if you're from there) and apply next fall (2010). I don't know the prereq situation at UBC, but if your grades are dropped, you can apply there. Perhaps a VERY well written letter as to why your grades are that low, and how you can use that experience in medicine, will sell you.

very best of luck - especially since your story seems close to my own! you're on the right track now - gather the info you need and plan it well!

silvrsleuth,

Thank you for your help. Your suggestions have given me a lot to think about.

I completed the prerequisites during my first undergraduate degree, however my grades were poor. As well, it is nearly 10 years since their completion.

Is it recommended to redo prerequisites completed so long ago?

Have you looked into applying to US med schools as a Canadian? Do consider checking out the American med schools sub-forum on here. It could be helpful.

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck with everything!

:)

Tara21,

Thank you.

I admit I don't know very much about medical schools in the US. I'll check the American medical school sub-forum, here.

A full scholarship allows me to attend graduate school in the US. Otherwise I could not afford international student fees.

Tara21,

Thank you.

I admit I don't know very much about medical schools in the US. I'll check the American medical school sub-forum, here.

A full scholarship allows me to attend graduate school in the US. Otherwise I could not afford international student fees.

Yes, the US tuition for Canadians is scary! :eek:

I'm considering applying to the US, if needed. First, I am going to give the Canadian schools a proper 'round or two of applications - mostly b/c of the tuition differential.

Good luck! :)

As mentioned, there are some Canadian schools who only look at either (1) your last 2 years (full course load) or (2) best two years (full course load). From what I have read it doesn't look like any of your past studies are going to be in the 3.9 GPA range (which is what you need to have to be competitive in Canada).

My suggestion is to find the time and money to go back to school fulltime for 2 years and use those results to apply under the 2-year rule some schools use. I wouldn't bother with any school who uses cumulative GPA if you are already under 3.0 GPA.

And yes, you would need to kill the MCAT so you would want to invest a lot of time preparing for that.

I will probably be yelled at for suggesting this... but you are really limited in your chances at Canadian med schools... instead of entering the application pool at 35ish and possibly trying over and over again, it may be a feasible alternative to look abroad for medical school (europe, caribbean, australia etc). For canadian citizens, it is becoming easier and easier to come back for residencies... again not trying to dissuade you from applying to Canadian schools, just giving you another possible option

As mentioned, there are some Canadian schools who only look at either (1) your last 2 years (full course load) or (2) best two years (full course load). From what I have read it doesn't look like any of your past studies are going to be in the 3.9 GPA range (which is what you need to have to be competitive in Canada).

My suggestion is to find the time and money to go back to school fulltime for 2 years and use those results to apply under the 2-year rule some schools use. I wouldn't bother with any school who uses cumulative GPA if you are already under 3.0 GPA.

And yes, you would need to kill the MCAT so you would want to invest a lot of time preparing for that.

Coach,

Thank you.

Another 2 years of undergraduate studies -- I have a feeling that's my best bet.

I will probably be yelled at for suggesting this... but you are really limited in your chances at Canadian med schools... instead of entering the application pool at 35ish and possibly trying over and over again, it may be a feasible alternative to look abroad for medical school (europe, caribbean, australia etc). For canadian citizens, it is becoming easier and easier to come back for residencies... again not trying to dissuade you from applying to Canadian schools, just giving you another possible option

WaveSense,

I appreciate your comment. Any practical opinion is helpful. Of course I'm aware of my age, and maybe its regarded with less enthusiasm by admissions committees, but I can't change that. I can change my grades.

WaveSense,

I appreciate your comment. Any practical opinion is helpful. Of course I'm aware of my age, and maybe that's regarded with less enthusiasm by admissions committees, but I can't change that. I can change my grades.

Indeed!

Good luck with this all and do let us know how it goes. :)

WaveSense,

I appreciate your comment. Any practical opinion is helpful. Of course I'm aware of my age, and maybe its regarded with less enthusiasm by admissions committees, but I can't change that. I can change my grades.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't think any admissions have a bias against older applicants and to be honest, if it was me reviewing them, it would be a nice change from all the 22yrolds. My point was that YOU may want to think about your age (a bit) and your ultimate goals before you enter what may sometimes seem like a lottery that's the admissions process. If you do happen to need a few tries to get into a Canadian med school, you may enter at an age when you would be already done at a foreign school. Thats all I meant. Anyways, I fully think you should try for Canadian schools first, but don't get tunnel visioned. GL!

I think you misunderstood me. I don't think any admissions have a bias against older applicants and to be honest, if it was me reviewing them, it would be a nice change from all the 22yrolds. My point was that YOU may want to think about your age (a bit) and your ultimate goals before you enter what may sometimes seem like a lottery that's the admissions process. If you do happen to need a few tries to get into a Canadian med school, you may enter at an age when you would be already done at a foreign school. Thats all I meant. Anyways, I fully think you should try for Canadian schools first, but don't get tunnel visioned. GL!

That *is* clearer, WaveSense.

Thank you

Archived