Premed 101 Forums

Debating a remark.

The Ace of Spades

i'd be kicking myself if it goes to R as well (I had R on a previous MCAT, but had a 9 VR on it).

i called aamc and the person i spoke to said he has heard it is very rare and that he personally had not seen a score decrease. just a sample of 1 but stil........

i know its a decision that's killing me....all liklihood it stays at Q

Go for it if it's really bothering you. It might be worth the risk but I doubt Queen's will raise it to a R again.

Why only Queen's and UT?

im dead serious

i've heard the chance of the score going down is miniscule.

if it stays the same, or goes up, obviously i can handle that.

My situation may be different from most: I've only applied to UT and Queens in Ontario.

My score going down only hurts me a bit with other schools in Canada and does not hurt me at UT.

I need to ensure i meet Queens and the rest of my MCAT will for sure.

so that's my issue in a nutshell. I'll make my call in 24 hrs!!

It's a human who will be remarking it. You never know if it'll go up, down, or stay the same. Most likely - it will stay the same. However, if you go down, you risk losing out on Queen's. It's really up to you, but I don't recommend it. But you have to do what you feel is right. If I was you, I'd just live with a Q knowing that almost every single year it has been good enough.

Although unethical and immoral.... how would medical schools find out the result of a remark that late in the game if your mark did in fact drop?

Are you required to re-release mcat scores post-acceptance?

Does the AAMC automatically update OMSAS?

Mind if they do end up taking the full 4 months... I suppose you'd have to give the medical schools a headup before the remark just to make sure they'd even consider the results that late in the game....

It's a human who will be remarking it. You never know if it'll go up, down, or stay the same. Most likely - it will stay the same. However, if you go down, you risk losing out on Queen's. It's really up to you, but I don't recommend it. But you have to do what you feel is right. If I was you, I'd just live with a Q knowing that almost every single year it has been good enough.

perhaps im taking a grim view but 1 out of the last 2 years is enough to worry me. I don't think what happened 4 or 5 years ago is as relevant right?

but yeah, i hear you on the tough call. From what the AAMC person told me, it sure sounds extremely rare for it to go down.

Go for it if it's really bothering you. It might be worth the risk but I doubt Queen's will raise it to a R again.

Why only Queen's and UT?

I have a graduate degree and subpar undergrad gpa.

You do raise a good point though. They went to R, and then back down.

• 1 month later...
and I still don't think it will jump to an R again at Queens so I am hoping you are completely fine regardless :)

thanks. i still feel better cause even if it does goto R, at least i wont be saying " i wish i challenged".

i was pretty sure it wasnt going to go down (when i called the person said they had never seen a mark go down ever....only heard of it)

Archived