Premed 101 Forums

The extra PhD interview points at Mac

I'm so glad that the OMSAS application process is finished. :D

I'm curious to know if the four extra points from Mac actually gives PhD holders a real advantage in securing an interview.

Are there any PhD holders out there who have previously applied to Mac? Did you get an interview or not? Do you feel your four extra points pushed you over the edge?

I know I am asking you to speculate and that only Mac admissions has the real answers. But please, satisfy my curiousity!

I'm so glad that the OMSAS application process is finished. :D

I'm curious to know if the four extra points from Mac actually gives PhD holders a real advantage in securing an interview.

Are there any PhD holders out there who have previously applied to Mac? Did you get an interview or not? Do you feel your four extra points pushed you over the edge?

I know I am asking you to speculate and that only Mac admissions has the real answers. But please, satisfy my curiousity!

Well those extra points only have a big impact (IMHO) if you already have good points from GPA, VR and ABS. If a Phd applicant has fallen behind the group on the other 3 categories (each worth over 30%) then the Phd points count for little.

If all things are equal between two applicants, and one has a Phd, then the Phd would more than likely get an interview ahead of the other. Remember that post-interview stage, they then look at your cumulative GPA score and Interview score. Nothing else. The highest scoring applicants then go to full file review.

You asked if the Phd can push you over the edge: the answer I think is yes provided your cGPA, VR, ABS and Interview scores get you to the edge.

Well those extra points only have a big impact (IMHO) if you already have good points from GPA, VR and ABS. If a Phd applicant has fallen behind the group on the other 3 categories (each worth over 30%) then the Phd points count for little.

If all things are equal between two applicants, and one has a Phd, then the Phd would more than likely get an interview ahead of the other. Remember that post-interview stage, they then look at your cumulative GPA score and Interview score. Nothing else. The highest scoring applicants then go to full file review.

You asked if the Phd can push you over the edge: the answer I think is yes provided your cGPA, VR, ABS and Interview scores get you to the edge.

Keep in mind that the extra points are not necessarily % points so i don't think one can simply tack them on after. If there are different conversions that Mac does in their admission alogorithim, these extra points may be worth significantly more than just an extra 4%. I just don't think it's as simple as adding 4% on. Just a guess. Either way, i think it is significant.

Keep in mind that the extra points are not necessarily % points so i don't think one can simply tack them on after. If there are different conversions that Mac does in their admission alogorithim, these extra points may be worth significantly more than just an extra 4%. I just don't think it's as simple as adding 4% on. Just a guess. Either way, i think it is significant.

Hey sv3, where did you hear this? From the posted formula, it does appear that they are simply percentage points added on to your total score:

Formula 1 - 32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

Mac's algorithm simply consists of z-scores assigned based on the applicant pool. If you had a GPA=4.0 and VR=15 then you would obtain the maximum 64 percentage points available for these two categories. If you had a master's or doctorate degree, then they would simply add an extra 1 or 4 percentage points, respectively.

Notice that Mac states "Based on past years' experience, this will provide a significant, albeit not decisive, advantage for graduate degree holders." This likely occurs because although this advantage may help graduate students secure an interview they may have otherwise not received, it appears that graduate status is not factored in the post-interview formula:

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score. [no allocation of extra percentage points for graduate students]

Graduate status advantage is therefore significant, because it allows for an increased likelihood of being interviewed, but it is not decisive, because that same advantage is not factored in to the final decision.

Hey sv3, where did you hear this? From the posted formula, it does appear that they are simply percentage points added on to your total score:

Formula 1 - 32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical Submission Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

Mac's algorithm simply consists of z-scores assigned based on the applicant pool. If you had a GPA=4.0 and VR=15 then you would obtain the maximum 64 percentage points available for these two categories. If you had a master's or doctorate degree, then they would simply add an extra 1 or 4 percentage points, respectively.

Notice that Mac states "Based on past years' experience, this will provide a significant, albeit not decisive, advantage for graduate degree holders." This likely occurs because although this advantage may help graduate students secure an interview they may have otherwise not received, it appears that graduate status is not factored in the post-interview formula:

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score. [no allocation of extra percentage points for graduate students]

Graduate status advantage is therefore significant, because it allows for an increased likelihood of being interviewed, but it is not decisive, because that same advantage is not factored in to the final decision.

here's the way i see these things: unless something is brutally explicit, i rather not make assumptions about the way schools do things. that's all i was saying.

But yes, it does appear that it is jus added on. Mac updated their website recently. Previously, it said 1 or 4 points (not %s).

your last line i agree with - mac says this themselves on their site.

Yup, that's how I see it: percentage points added up for a total score. And then assuming there's a z-scoring approach when they put all the scores and applicants up against each other to determine the interview list.

No doubt that a Phd will help, but it only helps a little to get an interview. And to get that interview the Phd applicant would still have to be strong in GPA, VR and ABS scores.

[/b]

here's the way i see these things: unless something is brutally explicit, i rather not make assumptions about the way schools do things. that's all i was saying.

But yes, it does appear that it is jus added on. Mac updated their website recently. Previously, it said 1 or 4 points (not %s).

your last line i agree with - mac says this themselves on their site.

That last line is my interpretation of what is stated on Mac's website: this means you agree with me! :)

That last line is my interpretation of what is stated on Mac's website: this means you agree with me! :)

actually its stated on their site:

Master's Degree holders: +0.01; PhD Degree holders: +0.04

Based on past years' experience, this will provide a significant, albeit not decisive, advantage for graduate degree holders.

but yeah, agreed. previously, like i said, they used the words "points" so i was unsure if you could just treat them like percents. But now they blatantly say percents, so yup, seems like thats what they do!

Archived