Premed 101 Forums

Opthalmology at UToronto and UBC

I'm currently a 1st year medical student at one of the mid sized medical schools in Ontario. Originally from out west. I've started looking at observorships at my school.

I'm interested in doing Opthalmology as it has been my passion since high school. I'm also interested in doing residency in a big city. Does UBC and UToronto take many applicants from outside their school? And what does one need to do help get an edge? I'm going to try to get some research done this and next summer, and maybe try to get it done in Toronto.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm currently a 1st year medical student at one of the mid sized medical schools in Ontario. Originally from out west. I've started looking at observorships at my school.

I'm interested in doing Opthalmology as it has been my passion since high school. I'm also interested in doing residency in a big city. Does UBC and UToronto take many applicants from outside their school? And what does one need to do help get an edge? I'm going to try to get some research done this and next summer, and maybe try to get it done in Toronto.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The first requirement is to be able to correctly spell Ophthalmology.

Sorry, couldn't resist! I don't have any advice, but good luck! :)

It sounds like you already know what you need to do to get an edge:

Start early. Research. Research. Research. Get something published. Present at conferences. Get strong letters from people who matter. Get to know residents at your school/school of choice. Be likable. etc. etc. etc.

Keep in mind that alot of ophtho programs put a cap on the number of electives you can do in ophtho (you'll have to check each program's requirements, but I've heard 8 weeks max for many).

Also, keep in mind that you might, just might, change your mind throughout the next 3 years.

Briefly, yes, it is possible to get into ophthalmology programs at both UBC and UofT without having attended medical school there. (I personally know individuals who have succeeded at this.) As has been outlined above, demonstarted interest (i.e. research) is very helpful. Although probably every one of us knows someone who got into a very competitive program at a very competitive school without having done much in the way of research or electives, this is probably the exception rather than the rule. It's safer to arrange research and electives rather than to assume you are going to be that one person who dazzles the rest of your classmates by matching to something really competitive without having jumped through the usual hoops.

That said, the intangible element is whether your personality will fit in with the personalities of the existing group of residents and staff people. All the research in the world cannot make up for this! I have posted elsewhere that ophthalmology program directors are looking for the same qualities as everyone else: an individual who is interested, hardworking, kind, a team player, and someone who gets along well with other members of the program. Being able to demonstrate these qualities can be hard during a two week elective, but if you manage to do this, it will go a long way...

Kate

Yes, UBC and UofT, of course take outside students. I wouldn't be so concerned about that.

Again - for competitive specialties, brown-nose, but not too much. Get to know important people, but maybe not the program director per se. Research, stron clinical rotations and equally strong reference letters are key.

3 out of 3 spots at UBC ophtho went to UBC students. So expect UBC to accept less of their own this year. Programs don't like to take too many of their own, and if they do, they'll do it once in a while only. Programs do not like getting a reputation of only taking their own.

Archived