Premed 101 Forums

U of Toronto Update

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Hi everyone,

As with the last message board, I'm attempting to summarise information from each medical school on it's own thread. If you have any new information for this school, please post it here so we all can benefit. As this information is taken from previous threads, don't take everything you hear as gospel.

U of Toronto:

Approximately 375 of 1600 applicants will receive interviews this year. The criteria used is 60% GPA, and 40% other characteristics. The interview dates will be the first weekends in March, April, and May. Of these interviewees, approximately 200 will be accepted to U of T Meds. At least some rejection letters have already been sent.

Ian

Can, MS2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone how U of T calculates the academic score (60% total evaluation) - is it really just the formula-derived GPA irrespective of undergrad institution, program of study, etc, and without any consideration of the MCAT beyond the 8/8/8 minimum - or is there someting a little more subjective involved? (ie great grades + low MCAT = problem) Any feedback would be great....

P.S. - Ian, this is a wonderful site, and really helpful, thanks!

Guest sharif

i heard on another website that some people from out east got interviews for the second round. i suppose they are sending them out this week for the end of march weekend.

has anyone heard positive or negative feedback? and where are you located?

anxiously waiting...

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if UT sends out rejections at the same time as the interviews, or are the interviews sent out first? I know that interview notices have already been sent out...has anyone heard of someone being rejected recently?

Any info would help greatly.

Thanks.

Kate

U of T somehow converts your GPA to a score out of 60 (assuming you're an undergrad). It doesn't matter what program you're in or what school you go to; the academic score's calculated in the same way. However, I also know that they won't just take your GPA and multiply it by 15 (like McMaster does, except it's a score out of 50), otherwise a 4.0 would be a 60 and a 3.6 a 54. 3.6's almost have 0 chance of getting an interview, while a 4.0 is likely (though no guarantees, obviously) to get one.

As well, they won't reveal the "official" way that your academic score is calculated. I've asked them a couple of times, as have other people I know and others that are on these message boards. I presume it's percentile based, but again, this is just speculation...

Guest tkerr

I'm a medical student in Dallas, originally from Canada. I've taken the USMLE Step 1 board exams. What are the Canadian equivalents? I may want to come back when I'm done school here, and I'd like to make sure that I jump through all the hoops to make that an option.

Tom Kerr

Guest kimberly

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what exactly is going on with the second round? I know some people have already gotten invitations...have they sent out rejections as well? I would like to know the process, if anyone has any information. Do they send out the invitations before or after the rejections? I haven't heard anything yet and am getting REALLY nervous.

THanks.

So far I've only heard of a few people getting interviews on monday and tuesday....is this the week they are sending out second round of interviews? has anyone contacted the admissions office and can shed some light on this issue?

thanks.

Guest sarah

does anyone have any information on second round interviews at u of toronto? was last week the only notification for the second round?

if so, i guess i gotta wait for the last round....

All letters for second round went out on March 2nd. If you haven't yet heard, you are in the 3rd round and can expect to hear at the beginning of april if you are granted an interview.

Guest jeniah

does anyone know exactly which weekend the 3rd round of interviews at UofT will be conducted on? i know its the "first weekend of may" but i was just wanting to confirm dates on that. - i would like to plan a little vacation time after school but i don't want it to conflict....

j

here's some info...

Admission to the undergraduate medical program at Toronto is based on the applicant's non-academic achievements (40%) and academic achievements (60%). Non-academic criteria are assessed through the review of reference letters, an autobiographical sketch, and an essay submitted by each applicant. This written material is reviewed independently by a faculty member, a current medical student and someone who is neither a student nor a faculty member. Each assessor will receive the non-academic material for approximately twenty-five applicants to review over a one-week period in late January, February or March.

Approximately 375 applicants out of the more than 1600 that apply will be selected for an interview. The interviews will be conducted over three weekends - March 3 and 4, March 31 and April 1, and ***May 5 and 6***. The weekend will introduce applicants to the University, its academic health science centres, the curriculum and the students. The interviews will be scheduled for 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 and 2:00 p.m., with lunch provided at noon. The interview is conducted jointly by a Faculty member and a medical student and takes approximately 45 minutes.

andy

Guest bcguy

when i went to my interview, i was informed that they are going to conduct about 400 interviews this year. Last year, they extended invitations to about 240 students for a class of 190.

enjoy the beautiful weather!!!!!!!! and see you in september as u of t med 2005

Guest ECruise

I sent in all the extra info on January 15th. I presume that graduate students are not evaluated in 3 random groups because of this...or are they? Since I am a graduate applicant, if I haven't heard yet...is it likely that they didn't review my application until now?

any other grad applicants out there that haven't heard yet? any info?

thanks alot.

Guest premed

Hi bcguy!

When you mentioned that they extended invitations to 240 people last year, does that include people who were placed on the waiting list?

Thanks!

I just have a quick question about the third round. If we haven't received any mail yet from the U of T, does that means we are in the third round? Also, does that mean we are guaranteed an interview now or will there be 3rd round rejections mailed out as well? Finally, does anyone know when the mail for the 3rd round should be expected?

Thanks for any help guys.

Rejections for 2nd round were sent with invites. Three RANDOM batches of applications are made. Each month, a different batch is reviewed. If you have not heard anything yet you are likely in the third batch unless your mailman really really sucks. The third and final batch is reviewed in April. The last interview weekend is the first weekend in May. They let you know either way about 3 weeks prior.

Does anyone know how many people are in each batch? Is it true that there were 1000 rejections sent out in early February or is that just a rumour? Are the 1800 applicants divided into 3 (i.e 600-600-600) or was it 1800-1000 at the beginning and then the remaining 800/3 batches?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Guest bcguy

yes that does include the waitlist...this was told by a med student at u of t who was giving us a tour...so i dont know how accurate the numbers are.

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hi there,

To address a number of issues...

Third round: third round letters (rejections and interview invitations) are supposed to be mailed out around the first week of April. The applicant files are supposedly being scrutinized during the final weeks of March. Apparently all "valid" applications are randomly divided then assessed in three separate groups; therefore each group contains a number of "to be interviewed" files, and "rejected" files. However, since this year may emulate last, in that a number of additional seats may be available for us applicants at the last minute (due to Govt. of Ontario rulings) UT may do as they did last year, and deviate from their "regular" admissions process. Last year, a pal of mine (who is now in the class of 2004 at UT) received her interview invitation during the first week of May--a scant five days prior to the interview. Thus, after the first batch of May interviews during the first weekend of May, UT decided that they needed a second, additional batch of May interviews. My pal, along with a number of other applicants, didn't receive her acceptance until after the official press release announcing the expanded classroom size in late August, two days prior to class starting in September. So in all, hang tight.

Graduate applicants: I too, am a graduate applicant, and am sitting with baited breath, awaiting UT's response. Apparently some graduate applicants were interviewed in the "first batch"; however it seems highly improbable that, given graduate applicants had to submit their material by mid-January, such material could be adequately assessed by the end of January for the sending of February invitations.

The good news: graduate applicants stand a good chance of being admitted to UT's meds class. I do not know how many graduate applications UT receives--it would be an interesting fact to be aware of--but on the whole, but my pal reports that her class is comprised of >50% graduate students--over 100 people in total. As an addendum to this, don't worry if you do not have a panoply of research and publications under your belt--my pal has none at all, and is still revelling through first year.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived