Premed 101 Forums

U of Toronto Update

Guest Ian Wong

Guest curious

Hi all. From the info I've gathered, there are only 200 of the 1600 applicants yet to here from U of T;

1600(total apps)-1000(initial rejections) =600

600/3(batches)= 200/batch

Since the first 2 batches have been sent out, this would presumably leave ~200 people yet to here from them.

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hello all,

I was just in touch with my pal who's in first year meds at UT this year. She reports that there have been numerous rumblings, of recent, regarding the increased class size for the 2005 meds class.

Apparently much ado is to be had in that the upper echelons are trying to figure out how to fit 230!!! students into the three UT meds academies. Currently, the class size is 190--so a 40 student jump is quite significant. Anyway, that's the number that's floating around, FYI. We'll see what actually comes about.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest bcguy

I know this is still in the air and nothing concrete, but this is fantastic news! I hope they do increase the class size and with the small number that they interview, people who do get an interview will have one hell of a chance in getting excepted.

Guest lucky

Hi Kirsteen or anyone else who might know the answer to my question:

Would someone please let me know how many 3rd year students were accepted last year? I am worried because I am in 3rd year and if graduate students account for >50% of the class last year, then that probably means that only few 3rd year students were accepted.

Hi, I talked to the U of T admissions people at an Ontario med school symposium in January, and they showed me the stats for the class of 2004. There's over 70 students (out of 190) from third year. In previous years, third years have constituted over a third of the class. Actually, I think about 90 got in (but either deferred or didn't go). So your chances are quite good, I'd say.

Hey Guys,

I just spoke to someone who knows a lot about the Ontario's health education. He said that there may be 40 new seats across the province, but definitely not 40 new seats at Toronto.

Hope this helps.

Kate

Guest anonymous

I have heard some grad students were interviewed in the first round. I'm a grad student, and have yet to hear something though... cross your fingers.

Guest Jase133

Dave,

Sorry to hear you were rejected. Those of us (such as myself) are in similar positions, just waiting for one of those dreaded letters. Do you mind sharing what your stats were (especially in terms of GPA)?

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your letter. That's a bit of a shocker given the purported time frame for sending out the next batch of letters.

May I ask, were you an undergraduate or graduate applicant?

Keep your chin up and good luck with the rest of your applications,

Kirsteen

Yah, I wasn't expecting a letter until early next month!!! Anyhow, I called them and the lady told me that they don't divide the applicants into 3 groups. All applicants are randomly evaluated and when they are, they are notified either with an interview or rejection.

FYI my GPA was 3.87

Guest jason

Has anyone else heard from UT lately? I am totally freaking out waiting for this letter. Kirsteen, in a previous email you mentioned all "valid" applicants are randomly divided.....what exactly did you mean by valid?

Anyways, any news from anyone would be beneficial.

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hi Jason,

I had referred to "valid" applicants as those undergraduate applicants who had passed through UT's official and unofficial sieves, i.e., the MCAT 8s, 3.8 GPA, respectively.

However, bear in mind that I have no official word about the true format of the UT evaluation process. It remains a large bit of a black box, and I have simply been trying to make some sense of it all by piecing together the tidbits of heresay that have been floating around in the ether.

It would be marvelous if, when one of us actually gets into UT meds, we could conduct some further investigation and get the real beans.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Kevin

The whole issue of dealing with high GPA requirements is a difficult one when you're in a graduate program, and won't have any opportunity to revisit undergraduate courses and bump it up. I'm in the 4th year of my combined MSc-PhD in Anatomy @ UWO and I find it a wee bit frustrating to say the least. Of course many schools adjust the requirements for graduate students, but this is never an "official" rules and seems to vary from year to year. Which makes the application process all that more of a gamble. Kudos to schools that clearly publish alternative GPA requirements for grad schools, including Dal, ... off-hand I don't recall which of the Ontario schools does. I know western doesn't, although there's some (behind the scenes) talk of bringing this option back in for next year. It usually never amounts to more than talk however.

*sigh*

It almost makes me want to go do that Nursing degree when the PhD is done. But then I'd run out of OSAP in time for med school, which kinda defeats the purpose!!

Good luck all.

Guest Kirsteen Can MBA

Hello,

There are a number of schools which are sympathetic to graduate students. UT and Queen's are among them given that they relax their undergraduate GPA requirements for graduate students. Many schools do not seem to be waxing towards graduate applicants in their application processes, e.g., McGill, who apparently award a small number of points on their final ranking scales to those applicants with graduate degrees, for example.

In total, given that the Canadian medical system is heading towards its own "perfect storm"--due to the collision of the brain drain, large number of retiring physicians, ageing population and its concomitant economic burden, hopefully the government will become eminently more proactive and begin allowing more individuals with a passion for medicine to enter the profession and help weather the impending maelstrom.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MEDCOMPSCI

Hey,

I heard from them yesterday and I have an interview on May5th. However, I live in TO, and the letter was dated March 31, so don't fret too much; I am sure it will come in a few more days considering you live in BC.

Archived