Premed 101 Forums

*U of T Process Information

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*dl

Date:***2/16/2001 8:23 am*PST

Thanks for the info! Are you saying that there were 1600 applicants to UT this year? Is it true that 1000 rejections were already sent out (which leaves 600 spots open)? What exactly are the reviewers looking for in the sketch/essay/reference letters?

Thanks!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/16/2001 9:06 am*PST

Hello,

The numbers in my posting were quoted from the UT memo, but I felt, from its wording, that the memo called on an approximation of the annual number of applicants to the program, as well as the number of interviews that would be granted.

As to the purported, 1000 rejections sent, I asked for an elaboration from the author of the message that originally included the statistic, but he/she has not yet replied. Perhaps, if they are reading this, they could provide some additional details?

As to what the UT reviewers are looking for in the written component of the application, I do not know. However, I feel slightly embarrassed in saying that I do know, in part, what the UT interviewers were looking for during last year's interviews, at least.

One of my squash teammates has a friend who is currently in second year UT meds, and it is the second year students (primarily) who seem to be recruited to interview the new candidates. This kind woman came to one of our squash tournaments recently and, stating that I was an applicant to UT, inquired as to her likes/dislikes of the UT meds program. She went on to describe how she was one of the interviewers last year, and listed, without prompt, five of the ten or so factors that were on the assessment sheet. I felt quite guilty, in a sense, that she had revealed this info, and didn't ask any further questions.

As Ian has written in previous postings, and judging by what she divulged, it is of utmost importance that you portray yourself in your everyday character to the interviewers--no matter what the school. All strange, obscure and challenging questions aside, in reality that is the majority of which they are trying to assess.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*jeniah

Date:***2/16/2001 3:12 pm*PST

hey kirsteen~

sorry i didn't get back to you about the u of t information i have.

while it is second- hand, it came from a friend who had spoken to someone at the school, presumably in admissions when they were confirming their interview.

1000 rejections does seem like a lot i guess. so believe what you wish.

j.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/15/2001 1:40 pm*PST

Hello,

I just read an interesting little memo that was posted by the UT Faculty of Medicine in Jan. 22 titled, "Help Select the Medical Student Class of 2005". Most of the details are readily available, but there are a few that are divulged that help add some dimension to the cloud of mystery which seems to surround the UT selection process.

The memo basically requests the help of faculty members to choose the successful applicants to the MD program beginning this September. The request is for faculty volunteers for non-academic assessor positions or interviewers. It gives the breakdown of academic versus academic criteria weights in the evaluation process (60 vs. 40), and adds that the non-academic material is to be reviewed by three parties: the faculty member, current medical student and an individual who is neither faculty nor current student. It also states that each assessor is to be provided with the non-academic material (reference letters, autobiog. sketch and essay) for approx. twenty-five applicants, for which they have one week in late January, February and March to review.

The memo goes on to explain that approximately 375 applicants out of more than 1600 will be selected for an interview. The dates of the interviews are given, along with the interview times, and that the duration of the interview should be about 45 minutes. The interviews are described as being semi-structured.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*lisa

Date:***2/16/2001 6:51 pm*PST

When were the rejections sent out? Were they sent out at the same time as the interviews? Does anyone know how many they interview for the 191 spots? Do they evaluate the autobiographical sketch and the essay before interviews are sent out, or does it depend on who has the highest GPA?

Sorry for all the questions! If anyone knows any of this info it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/19/2001 6:15 am*PST

Hi lisa,

From various sources of information, I gather that a large number of rejections are mailed relatively early. This initial batch of rejections may be composed primarily of undergraduate applicants who did not meet UT's prescribed cut-offs. Afterwards, it appears that the remaining applications are divided into three batches and are assessed on three separate occasions--end of Jan/Feb/Mar for the Mar/Apr/May interviews. I assume that additional rejection letters are simultaneously mailed with interview requests, as each group of applications is processed.

It is my understanding that those undergraduates who pass the initial cut-off have applications are fully assessed, i.e., their written components are evaluated to determine who receives an interview invitation. As to graduate applicants, it apears that the process is more complicated, perhaps involving different formulae (for average GPA calculation and assessment of supplementary material) in overall score assessment.

As to the number of seats for the 2001 autumn class, I had heard that this was being increased to 200 students. Any corroborations out there?

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*lisa

Date:***2/16/2001 6:52 pm*PST

When were the rejections sent out? Were they sent out at the same time as the interviews? Does anyone know how many they interview for the 191 spots? Do they evaluate the autobiographical sketch and the essay before interviews are sent out, or does it depend on who has the highest GPA?

Sorry for all the questions! If anyone knows any of this info it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff, UG2

Date:***2/16/2001 7:30 pm*PST

I've talked to the admissions people at U of T a couple of times (I'll be applying there this fall), and basically the criteria for determining an interview are 60% GPA, and 40% non-academic (assuming the MCAT cutoffs have been reached). The top 375 (or so) candidates using this weighting will get an interview.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*jaime

Date:***2/20/2001 11:33 am*PST

I have a question regarding the University of Toronto acceptances. Will they consider anyone who has not made the minimum MCAT cutoffs? I have a friend who received an automatic rejection from UT because her GPA was too low, yet I know of another person who has heard nothing, and got a 6 on VR.

Does anyone know exactly what goes on???

THANKS!

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/20/2001 1:07 pm*PST

Hello jaime,

Apparently it may be possible that UT does consider some people who have not made the minimum MCAT requirements, as someone attested to earlier. As stated in the UT information, they use the MCAT simply as a "flag". As to how they wave it, that's another matter...

Regarding GPA cutoffs, it appears that the undergraduate scenario seems much more straightforward than that of the graduate scenario; so, it may depend on the application category in which your friends fall. Undergraduates have higher requirements to meet at UT with respect to GPA--the published minimum is 3.60 on the 4.0 scale, but the ideal seems to hover around 3.80. As to graduates, the recommended GPA is 3.0, but the area of hovering is unknown. Therefore, their application situations could distinguish them greatly.

There is also the issue of the timing of application processing. If UT does, in fact, process its applications in three batches, it is possible that one friend of yours was processed earlier than the other.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*kate

Date:***2/21/2001 9:00 am*PST

Hey,

Does anyone know if the UT second round has started? I know of a couple people who were rejected earlier this week. I was just wondering if anyone has any info.

Thanks!

Good luck to everyone,

Kate

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/22/2001 6:12 am*PST

Hi kate,

From what you're saying, and if a distinct "second round" of UT evaluations does exist, then it sounds like it may be under way.

The Faculty of Medicine memo suggested that written components of applications would be examined at the end of January, February and March, with invitation/rejection letters sent out correspondingly. Based on this, we could assume that the second round of written components would currently be in the throes of evaluation.

While here, I spoke with my UT meds pal (first year student) last night. I was asking her about the composition of her class of 190 students. She estimates that ~50% of the class are graduate students. After inquiring as to how she felt the graduate applicants were assessed during the application process, it looks like we're still in a bit of a black box. At time of application last year, she had completed a course-based Master's program at UT and had no publications within her resume. Her undergraduate degree (B.A.Sc.) came from Queen's. Therefore, although I have heard recently that research and publications are everything to UT when taking a look at graduate students, it certainly does not seem to be an absolute.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*john

Date:***2/22/2001 11:31 am*PST

Hi Guys,

A quick question. Did we have to send in 3 copies of our essay to UofT?? Some people are saying we did and others are saying no. If someone could confirm it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Dan Petrie

Date:***2/22/2001 12:53 am*PST

Hey john,

So long as you used the omsas disk to submit your application, only one copy (the electronic one on the disk) was needed. Otherwise, if you chose a paper application, multiple copies were required.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/22/2001 1:11 pm*PST

Hello,

I completed the COMA disk, but also sent in three printed copies of my essay with the autobiographic sketch attached to the front.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*jl

Date:***2/22/2001 2:07 pm*PST

well.that wasn't needed. I didn't and have an interview, so I guess thats the proof. That and the line in the instructions that says you don't need to.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/23/2001 5:34 am*PST

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification. Hopefully those who did not send in the paper copies will find some solace in your testimony.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived