Premed 101 Forums

Calcualtion of your GPA(according to UWO)

Guest Dockrh

Guest Dockrh

How do you calculate your GPA for applying to Western. I know Queens is your best 2 years and U of T is drop your lowest grade per each year of undergrad study. Does Western have any of these unique calculation formulas? How abour Mac?

dockrh

Guest aneliz

UWO considers your best two full time (5.0 full credits between Sept-April) years. Both years must independently meet the GPA cuts (not the average between the two years).

Other rules:

You cannot count any year in which you repeated a course as a full time year unless you took >5.0 full credits

If you took more than 5.0 full credits, then only your best 5.0 credits are used to calculate your GPA.

P/F courses may be counted towards a full time year course load but cannot be included in the GPA calculation

At least one of the years must include at least 3.0 credits that are > first year level.

Anything other than your two best years is not considered by UWO at all (ie other years, part time years, summer courses, etc).

Guest daryn

Hi aneliz

I was reading previous posts. So at the pre interview stage, UWO looks at your best year, correct? Is it still the case?

daryn

• 1 month later...
Guest gorapsgo2007

Hi,

would anyone happen to know if a 3.699 be rounded off to a 3.7? If it doesn't, I guess that would really suck for me. My forth year is a 4.0, but my third year is a 3.699. I haven't gotten a straight answer from UWO, so should i apply or not? (cut off for each year is 3.7)

Thanks in advance.

Guest Chowchilla

have there been people who've been granted an offer of acceptance conditional upon their final marks? or are they automatically relegated to the waitlist?

Guest aneliz

Many people are offered acceptances that are condiitonal on their current year's marks. If you do not already have two completed years that are above the cut, your acceptance will be conditional. You do not get automatically waitlisted.

As for the rounding, I am not sure. I know that 6.990000 is not rounded up... but I am not sure about what happens if your GPA is 6.9999954...

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain to me what the conditional acceptance that aneliz was talking about meant? Does this mean you'll still have a chance if i.e. you're currently in 4th year, but for the other 2 years where you completed 5 credits, only one of them made the cutoff, but your 4th year made the cutoff?

thanks

Can someone explain to me what the conditional acceptance that aneliz was talking about meant? Does this mean you'll still have a chance if i.e. you're currently in 4th year, but for the other 2 years where you completed 5 credits, only one of them made the cutoff, but your 4th year made the cutoff?

thanks

If you're in your fourth year and only have 1 year with a GPA equal or greater than the cutoff, then you will receive a conditional acceptance. The acceptance is conditional upon your 4th year GPA also making the cutoff. If you don't make the cutoff, then your conditional offer is rescinded.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm not sure about OOP-specific numbers- they generally aren't kept track of nor released- in terms of interview invitations, so I can't give you an exact percentage. You can look up the class demographics from old posts in this forum- they generally include a breakdown of province of origin for the current medical class. Maybe a 2009 or a 2010 (man, I'm getting old!) can post their class' stats for all the world to see!

A significant number of OOPs seem to get in every year, though.

Hey,

I'm not sure about OOP-specific numbers- they generally aren't kept track of nor released- in terms of interview invitations, so I can't give you an exact percentage. You can look up the class demographics from old posts in this forum- they generally include a breakdown of province of origin for the current medical class. Maybe a 2009 or a 2010 (man, I'm getting old!) can post their class' stats for all the world to see!

A significant number of OOPs seem to get in every year, though.

You feel old? Not a week goes by that my classmates don't mock me about my age. ;)

I'm doing this off the top of my head and am likely going to forget people and embarrass myself...

In Meds '09 there are four Maritimers, six Albertans and five BCers. I guess that makes 15/133. Nuts, there are more than that, aren't there? Sorry to whomever I missed.

In Meds '10 there are only like 4 OOP for whatever reason (double-cohort, the tiered cut-offs, random chance?) It'll be interesting to see what the demographics are of the class of 2011.

Archived