Premed 101 Forums

FM + Additional OB Training

webshy

How competitive are additional obstetric training programs? I am interested in becoming a family physician in a smaller community, and including obstetrics as part of my practice. Specifically, I am interested in obtaining the skills necessary to perform c-sections and other instrumental deliveries.

I have started to do some internet research on the different programs available in Canada; however, have yet to contact individual program directors.

Some universities specifically list a program with the training I'm interested in, while others list the option of "self-designing" or doing a "rural" program that can be adapted. I'm not sure how much flexibility is available in these latter programs.

NOSM is the program that seems to have the most specific program description listing the type of training I'm interested in - higher risk pregnancies including surgical delivery skills, instrumental delivery and treatment of OB emergencies; 4 months of higher risk maternity + 2 months of FP/GP OB who provides c-sections. Alberta also seems to offer a similar program; though it is a 12-month program including 6 months of surgical obstetrics plus 6 months of general surgery (which I'm not particularly interested in).

I am curious about the competitiveness of the programs I am interested in, as well as whether any of the "self design" or "rural" programs have ever been adapted to include the type of training I'm interested in pursuing.

Thank you for your help.

Elaine

Archived