Premed 101 Forums

Kaplan Fraud

Kraplan

I started the Kaplan Online MCAT test preparatory course this June, 2009, under the clear outline that "if your total score is not higher on the actual exam than your earlier, official test score or your Kaplan diagnostic (if you did not take the actual test before), you may repeat the full program for free or get a full refund." This is clearly stated on Kaplan's website here http://www.kaptest.com/hsg. I have written the MCAT exam before, and my total score was 25O. I wrote the exam again after completing all required Kaplan lessons/tests/assignments in 2009 and I received a score of 27M.

As per Kaplan's requirements, I notified them that I wanted to redeem the money back guarantee as my total score was not higher. On October 27, 2009, I received this message "Thank you for your e-mail. We have taken a look at your account and we regret to inform you that at this time you would not be eligible for a refund under Kaplan's Higher Score Guarantee. We note that on the latest administration of the test, you scored a 27, which is higher than your previous score of 25. Although you are correct that an essay score of M is lower than an essay score of O, Kaplan only guarantees an overall increase in scores. Since your overall score increased, we would not be able to offer you a refund at this time. You still have the option to repeat the course if you wish to continue studying with Kaplan. Regards, Brian".

27 and 25 are not my TOTAL scores; 27M and 25O are my total scores, and neither is clearly higher than the other.

My request for further review has been ignored by Kaplan.

Go to the local Small Claims Court and find out the procedure. Send them the required Notice, including let them know that the publicity of the law suit can only adversely affect them. Then sue! It may take a year to get to Court. But you will het your money back. Also find out if you can sue for additional damages due to their not keep their word and if so, sue for another couple of thousand dollars.

I would let it go. You do not need the stress of a claim over your head as you are trying to study for the third attempt. And technically they are right, your score had increased. Letters don't count, but you know that deep down don't you?

Just focus your anger, use different study materials, and let it go.

Yeah, while technically you may be right in that they should refund your money. In the big picture, it isn't worth fighting over something that isn't clearly in your favour. Take them up on their offer to do the class again and try to raise your scores. You are going to have to retake the test anyways, why not use their help?

Yeah, while technically you may be right in that they should refund your money. In the big picture, it isn't worth fighting over something that isn't clearly in your favour. Take them up on their offer to do the class again and try to raise your scores. You are going to have to retake the test anyways, why not use their help?

I think by them saying to take the class again they might mean by also paying for it. I don't know though

It looks like the small print says that he can take the class again for free if he is not satisfied:

"You must be enrolled in a Kaplan full classroom, tutoring, or online course that began on or after August 11, 2003, and attend all required classes or make-up sessions, complete all required tests, and complete all of your required homework as outlined on your student homepage. If you feel that you are not ready to take the exam or are not satisfied with your score on the actual exam, you may repeat the full course for free for classroom and online students"

Archived