Premed 101 Forums

The Doppler Effect

The Law

I find these questions are very straight forward, but I want to have a system in place to try to answer these questions. I'm a bit confused with EK's system, so I'm wondering if anyone can explain what system they have in place to answer doppler questions! These questions should be fairly easy marks...

System? Never used one, just went on intuition. Never got a doppler question wrong though. You can tell whether the frequency will be higher or lower than the original based on the relative movement of the source and observer.

In any case, were you referring to a formula such as this as a system?

F = F0 [(V + Vo) / (V + Vs)] - it basically says the same thing but you'll know F based on intuition

V = speed of waves in medium

o = observer

s = source

EK is weird man, Berkeley Review/TPR is pretty good for physics.

EK uses:

Delta lamba relative velocity (obv vs source)

----------- = ----------------------------------

lambda speed of wave

The relative velocity is what confuses me sometimes. I find that method sometimes faster, but sometimes F = V + Vo / V + Vs is also good.

I think EK>>>TPR for the MCAT. TPR is too much like your run of the mill science book in my op.

True...EK keeps it quick and intuitive but sometimes they have really really convoluted systems where general theory would just do. Like their system of optics threw me off hahah. I think EK was definitely instrumental in my prep because it emphasized intuition and main concepts only but I think TBR took the cake with the practice passages. TPR is best if you haven't seen anything in so long.

The relative velocity can just be though of as the net velocity between the two objects, so just define your directions left/right/up/down as positive and the other negative and just add it to get the relative velocity. The ratio of the relative over the speed of the wave is directly proportional to the ratio of the altered frequency over the source frequency. I just went on qualitative judgement and got lucky hahah. Ahh I miss studying for the MCAT, good times but I wish not to repeat it since time is often limited.

True...EK keeps it quick and intuitive but sometimes they have really really convoluted systems where general theory would just do. Like their system of optics threw me off hahah. I think EK was definitely instrumental in my prep because it emphasized intuition and main concepts only but I think TBR took the cake with the practice passages. TPR is best if you haven't seen anything in so long.

The relative velocity can just be though of as the net velocity between the two objects, so just define your directions left/right/up/down as positive and the other negative and just add it to get the relative velocity. The ratio of the relative over the speed of the wave is directly proportional to the ratio of the altered frequency over the source frequency. I just went on qualitative judgement and got lucky hahah. Ahh I miss studying for the MCAT, good times but I wish not to repeat it since time is often limited.

It's funny you should say that. Their system of optics is the ONLY reason I can answer optics probs is b/c of those rules and diagrams! haha

TPR PS sections are fairly representative of the real thing though! Good practice.

Archived