Premed 101 Forums

Unable to decide...please help

Aerodynamic20

Hey folks,

I just found out this wonderful site for premed students few days ago. I hope you guys will help me out.

I go to SFU and I did pretty much most of my premed courses except two. So I was thinking of either writing the MCAT on August 2010 and registering for Kaplan prep classes or volunteering in a Hospital. Another third option would be doing Co-op program. I am kinda confused which step to take. What do you guys think...which option would be better? I am not sure whether I may get Co-op job but I am pretty much sure that the other two options are right on the table.

In case I decide to write the MCAT on August, which year can I apply for Med school (my graduation plan is 2011); is it 2012/2013 class? I know that students apply to Med school a year before they graduate. So if I write the MCAT on August 2010, does that mean I am gonna apply to 2012/2013 class? Besides, how long will the MCAT score remain valid? is it 3 or 5 years?

Your ideas are much appreciated!

p.s. If I posted this thread in the wrong section, please feel free to move it to the right

Hey folks,

I just found out this wonderful site for premed students few days ago. I hope you guys will help me out.

I go to SFU and I did pretty much most of my premed courses except two. So I was thinking of either writing the MCAT on August 2010 and registering for Kaplan prep classes or volunteering in a Hospital. Another third option would be doing Co-op program. I am kinda confused which step to take. What do you guys think...which option would be better? I am not sure whether I may get Co-op job but I am pretty much sure that the other two options are right on the table.

In case I decide to write the MCAT on August, which year can I apply for Med school (my graduation plan is 2011); is it 2012/2013 class? I know that students apply to Med school a year before they graduate. So if I write the MCAT on August 2010, does that mean I am gonna apply to 2012/2013 class? Besides, how long will the MCAT score remain valid? is it 3 or 5 years?

Your ideas are much appreciated!

p.s. If I posted this thread in the wrong section, please feel free to move it to the right

People generally write the mcat at some point after their 2nd year as most likely you have covered the prereqs by then if you are in one of the typical programs. I would still say most actually write it in after third year but that is probably more due to procrastination (but not necessarily in bad way) than pure logically thinking.

Most schools well accept mcats written within the last 5 years. As always if you have specific school(s) you are interested in research those specifically, but 5 years is a pretty safe bet.

Your choice likely boils down to have ready do you think you are for the mcat (how strong did you do in those related courses?). You can easily do both the kaplan course and volunteer in the same summer (kaplan is only a few weeks if I recall).

You are graduating in June 2011? You probably do want to write the mcat this summer then, or you will miss the standard application cycle (next fall). Actually it might be a better idea to write it if you can well before August, as it is not unusual at all to have to rewrite it (even for well prepared students), and with some schools having inflexible cut offs you don't want to be left behind. It is very unlikely for you to be able to repeat the test in time if you take it first in August.

Archived