Premed 101 Forums

2-week electives long enough?

At my school, there is a limited amount of time left dedicated for electives before everything has to be in for CaRMS, so it's important to do as many as possible to get all the references you need.

I'm applying to a fairly competitive specialty, so I would like to get face time at as many places as I can (especially the programs I'm more interested in)

Is 2 weeks long enough to form a decent enough rapport with a preceptor to the extent that you could feel comfortable requesting a strong letter of reference from them?

Thanks in advance.

Yes in most cases 2-3 weeks will be fine. More than 3 is really too much for carms purposes. You will have had enough time to get a feel for the program and they will have gotten an idea of what you are about.

If you are doing something where you will be predominantly with 1 preceptor then I wouldn`t worry that 2 weeks is not enough. If you are doing something like emerg or anest where you will have many staff, then maybe lean toward 3 weeks to increase your changes of having at least a few shifts with the same preceptor.

Keep in mind it is also worthwhile to have electives in places after all the carms deadlines but before interview invites are out. You might not have a letter from that school to submit, but you will be there, getting to know people.

Also...don`t feel bad asking for letters. They expect it and are used to it. Maybe just let them know at some point early on that you will be asking them, so that they can pay attention a bit more and potentially write a stronger letter.

Yes in most cases 2-3 weeks will be fine. More than 3 is really too much for carms purposes. You will have had enough time to get a feel for the program and they will have gotten an idea of what you are about.

If you are doing something where you will be predominantly with 1 preceptor then I wouldn`t worry that 2 weeks is not enough. If you are doing something like emerg or anest where you will have many staff, then maybe lean toward 3 weeks to increase your changes of having at least a few shifts with the same preceptor.

Keep in mind it is also worthwhile to have electives in places after all the carms deadlines but before interview invites are out. You might not have a letter from that school to submit, but you will be there, getting to know people.

Also...don`t feel bad asking for letters. They expect it and are used to it. Maybe just let them know at some point early on that you will be asking them, so that they can pay attention a bit more and potentially write a stronger letter.

Thanks so much, Satsuma. Am I right in assuming that it's also worthwhile to do electives before interviews as well?

Before interviews but after invites are out?

Well....I am not sure at that point. If you didn`t get an interview, then doing one there isn`t going to get you one. And if you do get an interview and something happens, like you don`t get along with your staff then, I guess that would decrease your favourability at a place you already had an interview at. But I suppose if you do great then maybe it would improve your chances.

I guess you need to weigh the pros and cons for yourself on that one.

I would say electives are definitely useful up until when interview invites are out. After that, I am not sure. At least, the benefits become less clear to me.

Before interviews but after invites are out?

Well....I am not sure at that point. If you didn`t get an interview, then doing one there isn`t going to get you one. And if you do get an interview and something happens, like you don`t get along with your staff then, I guess that would decrease your favourability at a place you already had an interview at. But I suppose if you do great then maybe it would improve your chances.

I guess you need to weigh the pros and cons for yourself on that one.

I would say electives are definitely useful up until when interview invites are out. After that, I am not sure. At least, the benefits become less clear to me.

Hmm, I see what you mean. Thanks again.

How do you feel about doing selectives with the home program director around that same time (after interview invites, before interviews)? I assume the same pros/cons are there.

Here's some advice. If you only have 2 weeks to spend, that's fine. BUT figure out fast who is the best person to write you a letter, and meet with them early in the elective (day 1 or 2) and tell them exactly what you need. Don't just show up and work - NETwork. It's rare that a med student can really shine clinically, just because of lack of experience. It's your enthusiasm, work ethic, and personality that really counts - in this particular situation.

Here's some advice. If you only have 2 weeks to spend, that's fine. BUT figure out fast who is the best person to write you a letter, and meet with them early in the elective (day 1 or 2) and tell them exactly what you need. Don't just show up and work - NETwork. It's rare that a med student can really shine clinically, just because of lack of experience. It's your enthusiasm, work ethic, and personality that really counts - in this particular situation.

Great advice; thank you.

Archived