Premed 101 Forums

Broad-Based Electives?

A lot of programs say that you should pick broad-based electives. I know there's the whole requirement by CARMS that you must do 3 different CARMS entry discipline electives and one in medicine and surgery.

But what if you kind of know what you want to go into and just want to try out all the different schools to get a feel for the environment? Will that count against you for not "branching out"? For example, if you have 16 weeks of electives, and you did 4 weeks of surgery electives (2 disciplines) and then did the remaining 12 weeks of electives in one discipline but at various locations around the province or country?

I know some places say that it's okay if you don't do an on-site elective, but like that's always advantageous no matter what right? At least it gives you a feel for the environment you're going to be in for the next 5+ years.

Most people try to do as many electives in their field of interest, just as you suggest, while still fulfilling their medical school's diversity requirement.

So if you were interested in urology, you might do 8 weeks of urology, 4 weeks of general surgery (back-up), 2 weeks in nephrology, and 2 weeks in emergency. Or something of that variety.

Diversification electives done in the summer of 2nd year and after CaRMS all count.

When (subspecialty) surgery programs say they want "broad-based" electives - they actually don't (except maybe for ophtho). ...don't let that fool you.

Otherwise, if you're interested in things like internal, radiology, family, etc...it's quite easy to "diversify" and still have it be relevant to your specialty of interest.

Also, keep in mind that it does happen that you don't get an interview at a school you do an elective at +/- reference letter (this happened to myself, and many friends despite being strong candidates).

Archived